Burials in South Haven, Michigan

There are at least two former members of the 3rd Michigan Infantry (1st organization) buried in South Haven, both in Lakeview Cemetery on Bailey Avenue: Rev. Joseph Anderson and Andrew Jordan.

The divisions of the cemetery are well marked.

Rev. Anderson is in block 5-9-3:


Jordan is in block C-9-4 just across the road and up the hill from Anderson:


Michigan Monuments at Gettysburg

So, my wife and I were in Gettysburg recently and spent a morning tracking down all the memorials dedicated to Michigan units who fought at Gettysburg. All photos from May 2019.

(Steve Hawks has put together an incredibly comprehensive website that provides details of the Gettysburg memorials including inscriptions, locations and much more. The links below will take you to the relevant pages on the site.)

1st Michigan Infantry Located off Sickles Avenue in the Rose Woods loop; close to the 5th Michigan monument.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

3rd Michigan Infantry Located at the southeast edge of the Peach Orchard along Birney Avenue.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

4th Michigan Infantry Located on De Trobriand Avenue just before Sickles Avenue.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

5th Michigan Infantry Located on Sickles Avenue just before the loop in Rose Woods; close to the 1st Michigan monument.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

7th Michigan Infantry Located just west of Hancock Avenue and south of the "Copse of Trees."

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

showing the “copse of trees,” the high water mark on the far right. photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

showing the “copse of trees,” the high water mark on the far right. photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

9th Michigan Battery The monument is along Hancock Avenue almost directly opposite the Pennsylvania memorial.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

16 Michigan Infantry Located about a third way down the front slope of Little Round and close to the Michigan Sharpshooters memorial. There is a path to the monument.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

24th Michigan Infantry Located just west of Gettysburg on Meredith Avenue.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

Michigan Cavalry Brigade Located in the East Cavalry Field on the eastern side of Route 15 and out of the normal flow of tourists to the park.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

detail, relief showing Brigade in action against confederate cavalry. photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

detail, relief showing Brigade in action against confederate cavalry. photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

Michigan Sharpshooters Located about half-way down the slope of Little Round Top and close to the 16th Michigan monument. The memorial is not accessible except by scrambling over rocks and through the underbrush; but the park asks you to remain on the paved path since they are presently restoring the landscape.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

photo © Steve Soper. All rights reserved.

3rd Michigan buried at Gettysburg PA

Of the 171 Michigan soldiers buried here 10 (not 11) were members of the 3rd Michigan Infantry; three errors are noted, however: Erson Smith was not killed but taken prisoner and died of his wounds in Richmond in September of 1863, Reuben Tower is listed incorrectly as Reuben "Power" and John M. Brown is incorrectly reported in the 3rd Michigan cavalry.

Charles Soule buried in Vicksburg MS

Charles was born about 1845 in Michigan, the son of Benjamin (1810-1876) and Alzina or Alvina (1816-1868) and the brother of Harrison Soule, born about 1842 in Michigan. Both men enlisted in the 3rd Michigan Infantry. (See his full biography.)

Charles was taken prisoner on November 30, 1863 at Mine Run, Virginia, and sent to Andersonville, Georgia. Charles was struck down by dysentery and admitted to the prison hospital on March 24, 1865 with chronic diarrhea. He was exchanged on March 26, and admitted to McPherson hospital in Vicksburg, Mississippi from Camp Parole on April 7. Charles died in the hospital on April 20, 1865 and was buried in Vicksburg National Cemetery: section I, grave 7429.

Note, the cemetery is laid out on a series of stepped hills and many of the sections -- arranged by letter and then sequential grave number -- are not clearly marked if at all. Also, you will need to go to the USS Cairo Museum to ask about specific burials. They can provide you with maps -- also not very good -- and give you the general sense of where to look.


Photos of five 3rd Michigan men and one woman

I apologize for the poor quality but these were copied (xeroxed) with the photos (carte de visites) still in their plastic sleeves. I plan to return to reshoot with the images out of the sleeve.

Photos from collection no. 242 Grand Rapids Historical Collections, Grand Rapids Public Library.

Thomas Tate of Company I

Thomas Tate of Company I

Phebe Southard Tate, wife of Thomas

Phebe Southard Tate, wife of Thomas

Maj Gen Byron Root Pierce, began the war as captain of Company K, 3rd Michigan Infantry

Maj Gen Byron Root Pierce, began the war as captain of Company K, 3rd Michigan Infantry

Joshua R. Benson of Company G

Joshua R. Benson of Company G

Daniel Converse of Company D

Daniel Converse of Company D

Ernest Synold of Company E

Ernest Synold of Company E

Unidentified civil war

I apologize for the poor quality but these were copied (xeroxed) with the photos (carte de visites) still in their plastic sleeves. I plan to return to reshoot with the images out of the sleeve.

These photos came from collection no. 242 Grand Rapids Historical Collections, Grand Rapids (MI) Public Library. They are unidentified although several have the photographer stamped on the reverse side (click on a photo for details).

Photos of two officers of the 5th Michigan infantry

I apologize for the poor quality but these were copied (xeroxed) with the photos (carte de visites) still in their plastic sleeves. I plan to return to reshoot with the images out of the sleeve.

Photos from collection no. 242 Grand Rapids Historical Collections, Grand Rapids Public Library.

George Winans, captain of Company D

George Winans, captain of Company D

Col. John Pulford

Col. John Pulford

Joseph Loomis Payne 2018

Joseph Loomis Payne was born March 2, 1842, in Randolph, Ohio, son of Connecticut native Solomon Loomis Payne (b. 1799) and Massachusetts native Martha Sage (b. 1806).

In 1850 Joseph was attending school with two of his siblings, including his older brother John S., and living with his parents in Rootstown, Portage County, Ohio. By 1860 his father and family had settled in Ganges, Allegan County.

Joseph stood 5’6” with blue eyes, sandy hair and a ruddy complexion and was a 20-year-old farmer living in Ganges, Allegan County, Michigan, when he enlisted in Company I on May 13, 1861. According to one source, he was among the second wave of recruits to come out of Ottawa County and did not in fact enlist until the end of May, along with Albert Hamlin, Calvin Hall, Nelson Davis and David Davis, Albert Gardner, James Rhodes, Perry Goshorn, Sylvester Gay, Joseph Solder (Josiah Schuler), Quincy Lamereaux, William Suret and John Ward.

He was sick in the hospital, possibly in Philadelphia,  from August of 1862 until he was mustered out on June 20, 1864, at Detroit.

After the was discharged Joseph returned to Michigan where he reentered the service in Company I, 8th Michigan cavalry on April 7, 1865, at Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County for 1 year, and was mustered on April 8, crediting Ganges. Joseph joined the Regiment on May 9 at Pulaski, Tennessee, was sick at Nashville, Tennessee, and was transferred to Company E on July 20 and was mustered out with the regiment on September 22, 1865, at Nashville.

Joseph returned to Michigan after the war, probably to Allegan County.

He married Ohio native Mary K. Pratt (1842-1931) on September 6, 1868, in Ganges, Allegan County, and they had at least two children: Bertha (1869-1874) and Edith (b. 1872, Mrs. Weaver).

By 1870 Joseph was back in Ganges working as a farmer and living with his wife and daughter; next door lived his brother John Payne and his family.

Joseph and his daughter Bertha were killed in an explosion at a steam mill owned by John S. Payne on May 1, 1874, in Douglas, Allegan County. His obituary read:

“Earth to earth; Dust to dust.” The last token of respect paid, the last sad duty performed. In Douglas cemetery lie the remains of Joseph Payne and his little daughter. The place that once knew them will know them no more. How true the saying, “In the midst of life we are in death.” Little did he think as we saw him passing to his accustomed duty, with happiness beaming from his countenance, that in the short space of one half-hour the sad accident would occur, which launched him from time to eternity. Sorrow and sadness hang over the community. Never have we seen more heart-felt sympathy or more genuine kindness than was exhibited o that day; each viewing with the other in rendering all the assistance within their power. Medical skill was of no avail, the injuries were too severe. The little girl lingered but a short time, but his hardy constitution battled with death for about ten hours, loth to give up its claim to life.

My Payne, by his kind ways and obliging disposition rendered himself a favorite with all who knew him. He was a kind father and affectionate husband and the community sympathizes with the bereaved in her affliction. She will miss him — she will miss the joyous prattle and sweet companionship of little Bertha, but should console herself with the thought of Him who said, “Suffer little children to come unto me, for of such is the kingdom of Heaven.”                                              

Joseph and Bertha were buried together in Douglas cemetery.

By 1880 Mary was living in Ganges with her daughter Edith. She eventually remarried to George Kingwell and was living in Ganges, Allegan County in 1900. In 1916 Mary applied for and received a widow’s pension (no. 823979) based on Joseph’s service in the war.

note the inscription near the base of the stone: "Little Bertha"

note the inscription near the base of the stone: "Little Bertha"

Nelson Davis UPDATE 2018

Nelson T. Davis was born in 1837, the son of David Davis and Vermont-born Susan Smith (1803-1903).

David and Susan were married in Waterville, Vermont on May 8, 1829. By 1840 David L. Davis was living in Adams, Ohio. The family eventually left Ohio and by 1860 Susan was living with her daughter Ann and her husband Oliver Carman and their family in Ganges, Allegan County, Michigan. Next door lived Nathaniel Plummer; his daughter Pamelia would eventually marry Nelson’s younger brother David.

Nelson was 24 years old and probably living in Ganges when he enlisted in Company I on May 13, 1861, along with his brother David (known as Lyman). They may have been related to Washington Davis of Company A (his father’s name was Nelson).

David and Nelson were among the second wave of recruits to come out of Ottawa County and did not in fact enlist until the end of May, along with Albert Hamlin, Calvin Hall, Joseph Payne, Albert Gardner, James Rhodes, Perry Goshorn, Sylvester Gay, Joseph Solder (Josiah Schuler), Quincy Lamereaux, William Suret and John Ward.

Sometime during 1861 Nelson was struck down with measles. (His brother David also suffered from measles in July of 1861.) He eventually recovered (as did his brother) and was on duty with the regiment when it participated in the opening phases of McClellan’s Peninsular Campaign in Virginia in the spring of 1861. On May 29th Nelson wrote home to his mother,

It is not much that I have to write this time. I received yours of the 13th last night; it found me in good health and I hope this will find you all as well as it leaves me. You wanted me to help you to a pair of light shoes. Now I would do it if I had the money. From the time we left Yorktown till within a few days I bought my own living for I was sick and could not eat government food. We shall get our pay before many days and when we get it I will send the required amount. I shall not write anything of our late movements for it has been forbidden and I think it . . . is not our business to write home what is transpiring here. It is warm and pleasant here; corn is large enough to hoe; wheat is headed out; string beans are ripe. The season of cherries will soon be at hand and then I will enjoy myself while they last. I was sick with the measles last year when they was ripe. L. [his brother Lyman] has just got back from the spring with some cool water and I feel like indulging to the extent of a canteen full or less. I expect that you will see me at home sometime in July provided we both live for it is my opinion that the game of Rebellion is nearly played out. We made a point [?] at Williamsburg and we will shank [?] them at Richmond.

Well I have wrote more than I expected when I commenced but my head is not quite empty so I will . . . write a little more. The Allegan boys are all here and they are all well. Harry Campion has been promoted to a corporalship.

I guess that I won’t write much more for I am tired of writing; write often I will write when I can. Love to all and keep a share to yourself.

Nelson added a postscript to his brother-in-law “Oll” (Oliver Carman):

I shan’t write to you until you write to me. Oll you had better enlist; Uncle Sam gives us two drinks of good whiskey every day [although] I don’t indulge; he also gives us plenty of hard bread, bacon, sugar and coffee, also plenty of beans. Lyman and I carry a three-quart dish to cool beans in; we can eat the full of it at one meal and wish that it held more. I was pretty hard up for nearly a month but I am well now. I hope that you are in as good health as your humble writer. Well Oll I will close for this time. Write soon. I remain your affectionate brother, Nelson.

Nelson was killed in action on May 31, 1862, at Fair Oaks, Virginia. His remains were returned to Michigan and he was interred in Taylor cemetery, Ganges, Allegan County; buried next to him is his mother Susan and near him is his brother David.

In February of 1863 his mother applied for and received a pension (no. 146670). In 1870 Susan was living with the Richard Ames family in Saugatuck, Allegan County.



Henry Pool letters

Thanks to John Braden, noted expert on the 5th Michigan Infantry and a member of Company F, 3rd Michigan Infantry Reenactment Group, I have  copies of five letters written by Henry Pool (Company A) to the editor of the Jeffersonian Democrat, in Chardon, Ohio. (Henry had been born in Ohio and lived for a time in Geauga County.) Henry died of disease at the hospital at Savage Station, Virginia, on July 7, 1862. You can read Henry's updated biographical sketch right here.

field hospital at Savage Station, VA, after the battle of June 29, 1861

field hospital at Savage Station, VA, after the battle of June 29, 1861

Oscar Neal UPDATE 13 July 2018

Oscar Neal was born on January 24, 1844, in Grand Rapids, Michigan, the son of Carlton (1820-1896) and Anna M. (1823-1856). 

His father settled in Grand Rapids in 1841 (see Carlton’s biography above), and his parents were married, possibly in New York sometime before 1844. By 1850 Oscar was living with his family and attending school with his brother Orrin in Grand Rapids.

Oscar stood 5’6” with blue eyes, black hair and a dark complexion and was an 18-year-old farmer probably living in Kent County when he enlisted in Company B on May 13, 1861. (At the same time his father Carlton joined Company K, and he may have been related to Lucius Neal who also enlisted in Company B.) Oscar was discharged on August 7, 1862, at a camp near Harrison’s Landing, Virginia, for chronic diarrhea and a scrotal hernia. 

In 1863 he applied for and received a pension (no. 562602).

Following his discharge Oscar returned to his home in Grand Rapids. By 1880 he was reported a pauper in the Kent County Poor House where he lived until he was admitted to the hospital at the Michigan Soldiers’ Home (no. 312) on May 11, 1886. He was discharged from the Home on July 10, 1886, in order to be transferred to the Kalamazoo Insane Asylum (no. 4345), where he was admitted on July 13 diagnosed as “dementia chronic,” cause unknown. 

It is said that he was at one time insane and confined in the County house. He was noticed to be insane shortly after his admission to the [Michigan] Soldiers’ Home, and very soon developed delusions of suspicion and apprehension. He thinks he is having a personal contest with Gov. Crapo [of Michigan], and is constantly watching for him; not infrequently he sees the governor coming in the person of some of his comrades, and attacks them. He says he is on guard duty all the time and is constantly carrying a heavy musket. He is in poor health, is rather pale and emaciated. His appetite is poor, his tongue coated and his bowels irregular. He is excitable, and irritable, and has delusions as before noted. He is brought to the Asylum by Sheriff John Platte and is received by Dr. Edwards on the directions of Dr. Palmer and sent to hall F.  

By January of 1893 Neal’s “chief symptoms remain unmodified. Although his health is never vigorous, it appears to be very well sustained. He does a little work at the farm but is inclined to indolence. He is easily managed and seems to be contented.” By the end of April Neal was reported “to be as ordinary both in mind and body,” and he was discharged into his father’s care on May 31, 1893. However, he was returned to the Asylum on November 14. According to his readmission notes, “It seems he became uncontrollable at home.” He disappeared on June 3, 1894, but was returned four days later on June 7. He had apparently walked to Grand Rapids (perhaps trying to return home).  

Oscar escaped from the Asylum again on April 22, 1896. He had been working the laundry and went outside for a pail of coal and did not return. According to his hospital record, “He was not missed, however, till dinner time and. . . .” He was found in Martin, Kalamazoo County, and was returned on April 24 (again possibly trying to get to Grand Rapids). His father died in July of the same year, and one Henry Mitchell (perhaps the brother of Virtue, Oscar’s stepmother) of Grand Rapids was appointed his guardian, at a date now unknown. Henry visited him quite regularly over the years, although it appears that Virtue came to see him but once.  

In April of 1899 Oscar was reported as feeling “well, is active, and never sick although he has the appearance of being a rather frail man and is anemic and thin. He is quite talkative, but is confused and rather incoherent with a general expression or feeling of being persecuted and frequently asks if he is not soon to be sent home.” By mid-1900 there was “no change” in his condition. “His mental action is maniacal and he asks over the same questions concerning his return home, makes incoherent inquiries concerning his property and moves about in an aimless fashion. . . . Patient works as actively as ever and seems to take a great interest in the management of livestock. He is always rather irritable and boyish toward his fellow patients and requires constant supervision to prevent him from interfering with the rights of other. He is impatient and peevish and very apt to think that everyone is trying to annoy him.”  

Oscar remained generally delusional and confused, and was often noisy in his conversation, although he worked well in the Asylum laundry for some years. On July 2, 1900 his guardian Henry Mitchell, with the consent of the hospital staff, took Oscar home to Grand Rapids. On September 12 Oscar was brought back to Kalamazoo by his guardian and readmitted “as an indigent patient.” He was removed again on June 8, 1901 by his guardian and returned on August 20.

In January of 1902 he became ill with pneumonia but was relatively healthy again by the end of March. On June 14, 1902, it was reported that Neal was “exceedingly delusional & talks a great deal in an incoherent manner about getting a good poor-master so that he may again go home.” By the middle of June 1903 his condition still had not changed. On June he was reported “as noisy and delusional as ever. He is almost constantly talking about returning to Kent County and about the need of going to the poor master. His language is always quite confused and very delusional. he still assists with the work at the laundry and is a very efficient helper.”  

In early February of 1904 he was sick again with pneumonia, and his conditioned worsened steadily. He died at the Asylum of pneumonia at 2:30 p.m. on February 11, 1904,  and his remains were sent to Grand Rapids where the funeral was held at D. & McInnes funeral home. He was buried alongside his parents in Fulton cemetery: section 5 lot 23.


Peter Lawyer UPDATE 13 July 2018

Peter D. Lawyer was born on December 24, 1820, either in Lawyerville, Schoharie County or in Herkimer County, New York, the son of John Sebastian Lawyer (?) and Catharine Storring (1801-1876).

Sometime before 1842 Peter moved to Kent County, Michigan, where he married Michigan native Lydia Laraway (1828-1881), on December 5, 1842, in Cascade, Kent County. (Lydia was the sister of John Laraway who would also enlist in Company A.) Peter and Lydia had at least six children: Henry M. (1846-1864), William R. (b. 1848), Charles (b. 1850), Mary K. (b. 1852), Frederick (b. 1854) and Jessie F. (b. 1857).

By 1850 Peter and his family were living on a farm in Grand Rapids, Kent County. Peter took an interest in the growing militia movement in western Michigan in the late 1850s, and he joined the Ringgold Artillery, under command of Captain John Fay. He was reported First Corporal of the company in 1858. By 1860 Peter was living with his wife Lydia and their children on a farm on Cascade road (just east of the present “East Beltline”) in Grand Rapids Township.

Peter stood 5’7” with gray eyes, brown hair and a dark complexion and was 40 years old and still residing in Grand Rapids Township when he enlisted in Company A on May 13, 1861. Besides his relationship to John Laraway of Company A, Peter was related to two other members of Company A: he was half-brother to Anna Reed, the wife of Miles Adams of Company A, and his own son Henry would enlist in the company in 1862. By early August of 1861 Peter was a Corporal. On December 18 he was reported to be in poor health and. according to George Miller of Company A, who was probably acquainted with Lawyer before the war and often spoke of him in letters to his parents, Lawyer was rumored to be “going home for 30 days on a furlough if he can get one, his health is very poor. Father knows him. He lives down toward the Rapids near Fisk’s tavern.”

By December 28 Peter had still “not gone home yet but expects to soon,” and in fact, by the first week of January, 1862, Lawyer along with First Lieutenant George Judd of Company A had left for Grand Rapids, probably to recruit for the Regiment. It is quite likely that since he was on recruiting duty back home in Michigan he probably recruited his son Henry, who would enlist in Company A in late February of 1862. (Henry would be killed at the Wilderness, Virginia, in May of 1864; another son William R. served in Company E, 10th Michigan cavalry.)

In late winter or early spring of 1862 Peter returned to Virginia and was with the Regiment when it moved down into Virginia for McClellan’s Peninsular Campaign. On Sunday, June 22, 1862, Lawyer replied to enquiries made by the mother of George Miller, who was missing in action at the battle of Fair Oaks, Virginia, on May 31, 1862. “I have just received your letter of inquiry with regard to your son, G. W. Miller,” he wrote,

which I hasten to answer and I will give you all the information I can, and all that anyone can. G. W. Miller was selected out of our Regiment as one of the sharpshooters together with about 50 more, and they were commanded by our worthy Capt. S. A. Judd, and they went into the battle about 100 yds in advance of the balance of the Regiment, but as the battle raged were soon all mixed up together and we had all we could do for every man to look our for himself. Many of our brave volunteers fell for the last time. G. W. Miller, James V. Smith, William H. Drake among the missing. The battlefield was all looked over for the wounded, dead and we found all but the above mentioned; it is my candid opinion that these 3 are taken prisoners. They all belong to company A, the same company that I do myself and G. W. Miller was a favorite in the company and very highly esteemed by all who knew him. We are all flattering ourselves that he will yet be returned to us.

The last that was seen of George he was as far in advance as any that was seen in the company. We were engaging the enemy on our left and we drove them back although they greatly outnumbered us, after some time had elapsed and we were all the time facing a perfect shower of bullets and grapeshot, the enemy overpowered our right wing which fell back. They came very near flanking us, it was with the utmost exertion that any of us escaped and there is where we think our 3 men was taken prisoner, G.W. among the rest.

Our Capt [Judd] was killed and our company was badly cut to pieces. 4 of our sgts were wounded, the highest officer we have left in our company is a sgt. We hope it will be as we expect, if so we shall all see You must hope for the best. It is my sincere wish that your son will be especially returned to you again. 

Suffering from “heart disease,” Peter was discharged as a Corporal on September 30, 1862, at Upton’s Hill, near Alexandria, Virginia. After his discharge from the army Peter returned to his farm in Grand Rapids, where he died of heart disease on Wednesday, June 25, 1863. The funeral service was held on Friday, and the procession left the residence at 3:00 p.m. The services were held at the brick school house near, on either Reed’s or Fisk’s Lake, at 4:00 p.m. He was buried in Fulton cemetery: section 1 lot 26. 

Lydia remained in Grand Rapids. In 1880 (?) Lydia applied for a widow’s pension (application no. 266481).

According to Lydia’s obituary she was living in the Township of Grand Rapids in 1881 when she

died of paralysis on the 19th of November. Her death and the suddenness of their bereavement was a severe shock to her children and the many warm friends of the family. She was stricken down while about her household duties, which it was ever her pleasure to perform for her loved ones, as one who looked well to the ways of her household, eating not the bread of idleness, and whose children rise up and call her blessed. She was an early settler, and the widow of the late Peter O. Lawyer, whose name is pleasantly familiar to scores of ‘boys in blue’, as he was one of the first to go out at the beginning of the war with out gallant ‘Old Third’ Michigan Infantry -- one who was prompt and honest as a soldier, never shrinking or swerving from the line of duty -- generous to a fault, kind to all, and in demeanor a gentleman in the best and manliest sense of the word. All this is recalled as we speak of the death of his amiable wife who has, her friends fondly trust, now found him in a better land, where there is no more trouble and the weary are at rest. Mr. Lawyer was a brother to Mrs. W. H. Reynolds, and half brother to Mrs. Miles S. Adams, Mrs. Frank Outhwaite of Muskegon, and Mrs. Theodore DePuy of St. Joseph, Missouri. 

In 1888 a minor child dependent’s application was filed for Jessie Tongue who was probably Jessie Lawyer, one of Peter’s children, and which was granted (no. 250957).


Samuel Adolphus Judd UPDATE 13 July 2018

Samuel Adolphus Judd was born on May 11 or 21, 1834, in South Hadley, Massachusetts, the son of Samuel 1806-1890) and Julia Ann Swain or Swaine (d. 1894). 

Samuel and Julia were married on December 1, 1830 and by 1833 were residing in Avon, New York, although shortly afterwards they moved to South Hadley, Massachusetts where they were living by 1834 and indeed where they lived for some years.

Sometime around 1852 Samuel (elder) moved his family from South Hadley, where he had lived for 46 years, to Grand Rapids, and joined into partnership with one B. B. Church in the market business. In 1855 he brought his son George into the business, and by 1858 Samuel Sr. had left the firm to become crier for the U.S. Court. In 1859-60 Samuel was living on the north side of Park between Division and Bostwick Streets in Grand Rapids, and in the spring of 1860, Samuel A. entered into a co-partnership with one E. Powers “for the purpose of carrying on the business of the bakery and confectionery business.” Their store was opposite R. E. Butterworth’s block of buildings on Monroe Street. 

Samuel A. married South Hadley native Clarissa Louise Smith (1834-1922) October 25, 1854, at the Congregational church in South Hadley, Massachusetts, and they had two children: William Elliott (b. 1855) and Jennie Eugenia (b. 1858). 

By 1860 Samuel was operating a flour and feed store and living with his wife and children in Grand Rapids, Third Ward. When the war broke out he was also serving as a volunteer fireman having been elected assistant foreman of Hook and Ladder company 1, and Treasurer of the Fireman’s Association. 

During the late 1850s, Samuel A. and his brother George E. both became actively involved in the development of the Valley City Guards (VCG), a local militia company organized in Grand Rapids in 1855. Sam Judd was elected Second Lieutenant of the VCG on February 12, 1858, and elected First Lieutenant on April 24, 1859. According to one observer Samuel was a superb marksman.  On May 28, 1859, the VCG, “numbering 25 guns under the command of Captain Byron R. Pierce, and accompanied by the German Brass Band, were out yesterday afternoon on their fourth target excursion. The company marched to a vacant lot near the old slaughter house, when the target was erected at a distance of 12 rods from the line. Major [Stephen] Champlin, Paymaster [Robert] Collins and Captain [John] Fay, were selected as judges. After each member had fired three shots, the judges reported the best string shot to have been made by Color-Sargeant Thomas Greenly, whose average shot measured 7 and 3/16 inches; second best, Geo. Judd. The best single shot, and the only one in the ‘bull's eye’, was made by Samuel Judd.” He was elected as Captain on December 3, 1860, when Captain Byron Pierce resigned. 

Samuel was 27 years old when he enlisted as Captain of Company A on May 13, 1861, along with his younger brother George, and indeed the VCG would form the nucleus of Company A. When the Regiment embarked on two boats at Detroit on the evening of June 13, 1861, “Captain Judd,” wrote George Miller of Company A, and Lieutenant Fred Schriver, also of Company A, “were accidentally left but they took the next boat and came after us, they overtook the rear train at Pittsburg, they overhauled our train just before we got to Harrisburg [Pennsylvania]. Our train had stopped for something when the second train came up, Captain Judd and the Lieutenant came up and joined us, as they came walking up they were greeted with 3 heavy cheers from our boys who swore they would not go through Baltimore without Captain Judd.”

Samuel Judd and his family in winter camp in Virginia, 1861-62

Samuel Judd and his family in winter camp in Virginia, 1861-62

While in camp, one of Judd’s responsibilities, according to Charles Wright of Company A, was to hand out the mail to the members of his company, and “When the mail came in to our camp our boys all crowded around captain Sam Judd expecting to get news from their friends.” At some point after the Regiment went into its winter quarters Clara Judd joined her husband. On January 15, 1862, Wright wrote home to his sister that “They live in a log house, close by, that I and the boys built for him.” 

Samuel was killed in action on May 31, 1862 at Fair Oaks, Virginia, at the same time that his brother George lost an arm.  

The Third Regiment’s chaplain, Rev. Joseph Anderson, wrote an expression of sympathy to the deceased’s family on June 2, 1862. “You will have received ere this reaches you,” Anderson wrote, 

the saddening intelligence of the death of your noble son, and the maiming for life, if not the death, of another. There are times when a calamity is so overwhelming as to mock all efforts at consolation, and i really scarcely know how to approach you, under your sad bereavement, so as to be the minister of comfort to you both. But, if to know that Samuel Judd was the idol of not merely his own company, but also of the whole Regiment; if to know that the sympathies of them all are yours -- earnestly and deeply yours; if that remembrance of the fact that the cause for which he poured out his noble life was worthy of such a sacrifice; if bravery, courage and manly daring on that hard fought battle field, in which the Michigan Third crowned themselves with laurels, and decided the fortunes of the day, on one of the hardest fought battle fields of history of our country; and if to know that among the heroes of that day the deeds of your sons will live in the memory of all the witnesses of their bravery -- if all those and even more are any alleviation, or will bring any balm to your wounded spirits, then you have the satisfaction of knowing that all these are true; and that, while these cannot restore him that is gone, nor make him whole who is maimed, yet, certainly the cause and manner of your bereavement should be some alleviation of your grief; and, while it is natural that the parents bosom should heave, and the tear of sorrow fall, yet remember that his life was his country's; and when she demanded it, Samuel Judd nobly and willingly surrendered it. If a heathen poet, therefore, exclaimed: “It is honorable and glorious to die for our country,” how much more should a Christian parent be imbued with a higher feeling. 

Some years after the war Dan Crotty of Company F wrote of Judd’s death, “Oh, how many of our comrades we leave behind, fallen in defence of their Nation's flag. The brave and heroic Captain Samuel Judd, of Company A, is no more. He was killed on the skirmish line leading on his men. He sold his life well, however, for when his body was found three large rebels lay by his side, whom he had made bite the dust. The whole Regiment mourn his loss.” At home in Grand Rapids the news of Judd’s death came as a shock. Rebecca Richmond, daughter of William Richmond, one of Grand Rapids leading citizens, wrote in her diary on June 4, 1862, “We received today very bad news from the Third Regiment which was engaged in the battle of Fair Oaks, Virginia on Saturday and Sunday last. The report is that Captain Samuel Judd is killed and . . . Geo. Judd . . . severely wounded, beside very many subordinate officers and privates of course. Our city is in a state of excitement and mourning and constantly expecting and dreading a confirmation of our worst fears!” 

In late June of 1862, N. L. Avery was chosen by several of the leading citizens of Grand Rapids to go out to Fair Oaks soon after the battle and distribute hospital supplies, money etc. to the wounded men of the Old Third; he was also tasked with bringing home the remains of Samuel Judd. On July 2, 1862, Judd’s remains were returned to Grand Rapids and according to one report the turnout for the “return” of the body was most impressive. According to one local report,

The Telegraph of Tuesday morning last, announced to our citizens that the earthly remains of this gallant soldier, in charge of N. L. Avery, Esq., would reach this city on the afternoon train from the east. The Masonic Fraternity, fireman, Military, and a large concourse of our citizens repaired to the depot to receive them. Upon the arrival of the cars a procession was formed, the Masonic fraternity taking charge of the corpse, and marched to McConnell's block; the bells of the city tolling, and the band with muffled drums beating, where the body in a metallic coffin, was deposited until Wednesday afternoon, when the last sad rites of burial of consigning ‘dust to dust’ of all that remained to earth of the late S. A. Judd was performed according to the Masonic ritual, Rev. S. S. N. Greely preaching the funeral sermon. The services were attended by the Grand Rapids Greys and other military, the several Fire companies, and an immense concourse of citizens. This sad scene has brought the war home to our very doors. The death of Captain Judd, who was universally respected by our citizens, and who was slain at the battle of Fair Oaks, gloriously fighting under the Stars and Stripes to preserve the inestimable blessings of our Union, has touched many a heart-chord in this community, and made us to feel the sad realities of war. This loss, though most keenly felt by his own family and relatives, is the loss of the whole community -- the Nation. Upon the rough and rugged path of the battle field he was ruthlessly slain by the murderous hands of rebels. He was rudely sent into the presence of Him who ‘ruleth all things well,’ where there are no wars or rumors of war, where all is peace, and love supreme prevades [sic] all, presides over all. And whilst we cherish and treasure up his memory in our heart of hearts, as one who fell valiantly fighting for the right -- the bravest of the brave -- let me earnestly pray for an influx of the Divine love that shall melt the hearts of obstinate rebels and again unite us in fraternal bonds of mutual sympathy and kindness, that we may again enjoy the blessings of a united, happy and prosperous people.”

Samuel Judd had indeed been popular with many of the men of Company A, and quite a few of his former comrades subscribed to a fund to place substantial memorial built over his remains in Fulton cemetery, Grand Rapids. The Grand Rapids Eagle wrote on June 13, 1863 that

a very appropriate and beautiful monument has just been completed and this day erected in the old City Cemetery, over the remains of our late esteemed fellow citizen, and lamented Captain Samuel A. Judd, who fell in the battle of Fair Oaks, bravely fighting under the Stars and Stripes, for Freedom and the Union. The monument is made of beautiful Italian marble, and is 11 feet high. Its base is made of 2 slabs of Ohio stone; its plinth is a square marble block 2 and a half feet high, with marble caps, on one side of which is chiseled the following inscription: ‘Samuel A. Judd, Captain of Company A, 3d Michigan Infantry volunteers, in the war for the Suppression of the Rebellion, killed in the Battle of Fair Oaks, Virginia, May 31, 1862, aged 28 years, 10 days’; and on the other side: ‘This monument was erected by members of his company, who loved him as a brother, obeyed with alacrity his commands, and will during life, cherish the remembrance of his courage and patriotism.’ The spire is a pillar of plain white marble, square and tapering in form, 6 and a half feet in height, and upon which is chiseled a sabre, and upon the other a double triangle, square and compass. The monument is the work of Wm. Laraway & company, and it speaks for itself in praise of the good taste and skill displayed on it, by this accomplished artist.

And Charles Wright wrote home to his sister on August 9, 1863, “I am glad to hear that Cap. Judd has got a beautiful monument, and I expect to see it some day.” 

In August of 1869 the Grand Army of the Republic Samuel Judd Post No. 49 in Grand Rapids was named in his honor. On August 5, “At a meeting . . . of the [G.A.R.], recently organized in this city, it was decided that the Post should hereafter be known and organized as ‘Judd Post No. 49, Department of Michigan.’ The name was chosen in honor of Captain Samuel A. Judd, of the 3rd Michigan Infantry, who went from this city at the commencement of the war and was killed at Fair Oaks, Virginia, while gallantly leading his command. He left many friends here by whom his virtues and his manly character will never be forgotten, and this society of veteran soldiers did well when they made choice of so honorable a name for their Post.”  

Samuel Judd was interred in Fulton cemetery: block 7 lot 5. 

In August of 1862 Clarissa applied for and received a widow’s pension (no. 415). In 1868 she married John Kellogg of Massachusetts and subsequently reported herself as guardian when she applied for and was granted a pension on behalf of her children (no. 125349). 

Following the death of her second husband in 1887, Clarissa, who was living in Holyoke, Hampden County, Massachusetts, applied for a renewal of her former widow’s pension in 1901 which was granted, drawing $20 per month, and $30 per month by 1922. By 1922 she was living at 102 Elm Street in Holyoke, Massachusetts.


John Allen Stanton UPSATE 13 July 2018

John Allen Stanton was born August 26, 1838, in Kent County, Michigan, the son of David Stanton and New York native Elizabeth Jennings (b. 1799). 

Between 1828 and 1836 the family moved to Michigan and by 1840 David may have been living in Girard, Branch County. By 1850 John was living with his mother and siblings in Tallmadge, Ottawa County; also living with them was John’s older brother Simon (listed as “Craman”) who would also join the 3rd Michigan. By 1860 John had probably moved to Paris, Kent County (listed as “Allen”) where he was living with his older brother Lorenzo. 

John stood 5’11” with blue eyes, light hair and a light complexion and was a 19-year-old lumberman possibly living in Grand Rapids’ 1st Ward when he enlisted in Company G on December 21, 1861, at Grand Rapids for 3 years, crediting Grand Rapids’ 1st Ward, and was mustered on December 23 at Detroit. (Simond Stanton, who may have been his older brother, would join Company E in 1864.) John was wounded slightly during the engagement at Second Bull Run on August 29, 1862, and subsequently detached as a teamster at Corps headquarters from December of 1862 through February of 1864. 

John reenlisted on March 27, 1864, in the field, and mustered on March 30 at Brandy Station, Virginia. He was transferred to Company E on April 2, at Brandy Station, and reported to be on veteran’s furlough through May of 1864. John was possibly still on detached service working as a teamster when he was transferred (as was Simond) to Company E, 5th Michigan Infantry upon consolidation of the 3rd and 5th Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and was reported a teamster (as was Simond, see below) in May of 1865. He was mustered out on July 5, 1865, at Jeffersonville, Indiana. After the war John returned to Michigan. 

He married Michigan native Abigail Celia Hall (1846-1920) and they had at least three children: Adelbert (b. 1868), Percy (1875-1947) and Alice (b. 1879-1956, Mrs. Nesburg). 

By 1880 John was working as a “mover of houses” (probably with his brother Howard) and living with his wife and children in Wayland, Allegan County. By 1881 he was living in Pierson, Montcalm County, and in 1890 he was residing in Muskegon, Muskegon County, when he applied for and received a pension (no. 822912). By 1900 he was working as a day laborer and living with his wife and two children (Percy and Alice) in Custer, Mason County. 

He was a member of the Old 3rd Michigan Infantry Association. 

John died of acute bronchitis on August 21, 1907, in Scottville, Mason County. He was buried in Brookside Cemetery, Scottville. 

In September of 1907 his widow was living in Michigan when she applied for and received a pension (no. 636152). By 1920 she was living with her daughter Alice Nesburg and her family in Muskegon, Muskegon County.


Edmund B. Arthur UPDATE 13 July 2018

Edmund B. Arthur was born probably on October 30, 1837, in Chateauguay County, New York, the son of New Yorkers William B. Arthur (b. 1811) and Mary Polly Bostwick (1811-1902). 

In 1850 William and Polly along with their children Lucinda and Richard were living on a farm in Ellicott, Chautauqua, New York. In 1855 Edmund was living with his parents and brother Richard in Ellicott, New York. Edmund’s family left New York and moved westward, eventually settling in Saranac, Ionia County, Michigan.

Edmund was living in Saranac when he married New York native Harriet Matilda Belote (1837-1923) on February 22, 1859. They had at least five children: Jay R. (b. 1860), Asa Somers (1865-1918), Elwin M. (1863-1939), Elnora B. (1869-1952, Mrs. Gibson) and Mrs. Elmer Mallory. 

By 1860 Edmund was working as a laborer and living with his wife and son in Boston, Ionia County; also living with them was 9-year-old Inez Arthur. (His mother and younger siblings were also living in Boston in 1860.) Edmund was possibly living in Boston in July of 1860 when he and his younger brother Richard joined the Boston Light Artillery -- also known as the Boston Light Guard -- under the command of Captain Moses Houghton. (The BLA was a local militia company comprise mostly of men from the western side of Ionia County and many of whose members would serve as the nucleus for Company D of the 3rd Michigan infantry, which was composed in large part of men who came from western Ionia County and Eaton County and which would be organized in Grand Rapids in the spring of 1861. Indeed, Captain Houghton would also command Company D, 3rd Michigan.

Edmund was probably still living in Boston in July of 1860 when he and his younger brother Richard joined the Boston Light Artillery (also known as the Boston Light Guard), under the command of Captain Moses Houghton. (The Boston Light Guard was a local militia company comprise mostly of men from the western side of Ionia County and many of whose members would serve as the nucleus for Company D of the 3rd Michigan infantry which would be organized in Grand Rapids in the spring of 1861. Indeed, Moses Houghton would also command Company D, 3rd Michigan.)  

Edmund was 24 years old and working as a laborer probably living in Boston when he enlisted in Company D on December 21, 1861, at Grand Rapids for 3 years, was mustered on December 23 at Detroit (his brother Richard had enlisted in Company D in May). He was present for duty from January of 1862 through April, but was absent in the hospital at Fortress Monroe, Virginia, in May and June, recovering from a wound he received when he accidentally shot himself in the hand with a revolver. Edmund reportedly deserted from the general hospital in Alexandria, Virginia, on August 2 or 5, 1862, and he was on the deserter’s descriptive list for May 31, 1863, as having deserted from Washington, date unknown. 

There is no further record and no pension seems to be available. However, there is reason to believe that Edmund reentered the military while living in Pennsylvania. 

According to one report Edmund took his family and moved to Pennsylvania where he reportedly lived until enlisting in Company A, 9th (or 29th) Pennsylvania infantry on December 23, 1864, for one year, and was honorably discharged on December 25, 1865. After leaving the army Edmund apparently entered the Evangelical ministry and for some 20 years preached the gospel in several states. 

Edmund eventually returned to Michigan and settled near Ludington in Mason County, In 1900 he and Harriett were living in Amber, Mason County. He was living in Amber, Mason County in 1890 and 1894. (In fact, he was also listed as having served in the 29th Pennsylvania and discharged on July 1, 1865.) 

He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic S. D. Haight post in Mason County.  

Edmund died of “old age” at his home on Crowley Street, in Scottville, Mason County, on Saturday, April 9, 1910, and the funeral services were held at the Grace Evangelical church in Scottville. He was buried in Brookside cemetery.


Mason County Burials

I've just finished updating the gravesite photos for the six men of the 3rd Michigan Infantry who are buried in Mason County, Michigan. Three are in Lakeside Cemetery, one in Tallman Cemetery and two in Brookside near Scottville. 


In Lakeside: John B. Marsh Sr. 1823-1900


In Lakeside: John Benson 1831-1903


In Lakeside: Walter W. Waite 1843-1905


In Tallman Cemetery: Albert M. Cole 1842-1922 (he transferred to the 3rd US Artillery)


In Brookside: Edmund B. Arthur 1837-1910


In Brookside: John Allen Stanton 1838-1907

3rd Michigan burials update

In preparation for my upcoming presentation on the men of the Old 3rd for the Grand Rapids Civil War Roundtable in September, I've updated my burial data for those men interred in Kent County, Michigan.

Of the 1,4111 men enrolled in the regiment between 1861 and 1864: 

871 men survived to see 1866
680 buried in Michigan
208 buried in Kent County

Top four burial sites in Kent County (all in Grand Rapids):

42 in the Michigan Soldiers' Home Cemetery
36 in Oak Hill Cemetery (north and south)
20 in Fulton Cemetery
19 in Greenwood Cemetery

Fulton Cemetery

Fulton Cemetery