Orlin A. Andrus

Orlin A. Andrus, also known as “Andrews”, was born 1841 in Ohio, the son of William B. (b. 1810) and Lucretia (b. 1811).

New York native William married Vermonter Lucretia and they eventually settled in Ohio. (William may have been living in Strongsville, Cuyahoga County, Ohio in 1840.) By 1850 Orlin was attending school with his younger brother Robert and living with the family in Royalton, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, where his father worked as a carpenter. Sometime in the late 1850s Orlin’s family left Ohio and settled in western Michigan. By 1859-60 he was working in Grand Rapids as a carpenter with his father William and residing with his family in the Third Ward on the north side of Wenham Avenue between Division and Sheldon.

Orlin was 20 years old and probably still living in Grand Rapids when he enlisted in Company K on May 13, 1861; he was possibly related to Chandler Andrews who also enlisted Company K.

In any case, Orlin died of consumption at Harrison’s Landing, Virginia on August 12, 1862, and was buried in Glendale National Cemetery: section C, grave no. 168.

No pension seems to be available.

Orlin’s father apparently remarried to a woman named Emily (possibly named Wheeler, b. 1825) and by 1870 he was working as a carpenter and living with his second wife and two teenage Wheeler children in Fremont, Sheridan Township, Newaygo County; also living in Sheridan Township was his son Robert.