Andrew P. Barnum - updated 22/04/2008

Andrew P. Barnum was born September 19, 1841, in Chenango County, New York, the son of Isaac (1804-1878) and Roxanna (Philley, 1801-1872).

New York natives Isaac and Roxanna (who could not read or write) were married in 1823, probably in New York where they resided for some years. Isaac moved his family from New York to Michigan between 1842 and 1846, and by 1850 Andrew was living on the family farm in Woodland, Barry County where his older siblings attended school. In 1860 Andrew was still living with his family in Woodland.

Andrew stood 5’9” with dark eyes, dark hair and a fair complexion, and was a 20-year-old farmer possibly living in Lowell, Kent County or in Ionia or Barry County when he enlisted on April 12, 1862 -- although he claimed later that he enlisted on March 13, 1862 -- in Company E, and was mustered the same day. (Company E was composed in large part by men from Clinton and Ingham counties, as well as parts of Ionia County.)

According to the testimony of David Crawford, formerly a Lieutenant in Company E, just after the battle of Fair Oaks, Virginia, on May 31, 1862, Andrew “was accidentally wounded by a pistol shot in the left face, finger & right foot by a comrade who had picked up a revolver on the battle field and was examining the same.” In any case, by late June Andrew was listed in the hospital at Bottom’s Bridge, Virginia, having been wounded accidentally in the hand and foot. He was admitted to Bellevue hospital in New York City on July 7, 1862, and was discharged for disability on August 29 or September 2, 1862, at New York City, from Bellevue.

After he left the army Andrew returned to Michigan.

He married Michigan native Cornelia (“Cora”) J. Maxson (1843-1915) on August 21, 1864, in Chester, Eaton County; they had at least four children: Carrie (Mrs. Fred Niles, 1865-1947), Della (b. 1868), Elnora or Nora (b. 1870) and Osie (1876).

According to Andrew’s sister Sarah, after they were married Andrew and Cora moved on to the Barnum family farm in Woodland, Barry County, and worked it for some years. He also worked as a carpenter.

Indeed, by 1870 Andrew, owning some $3000 worth of real estate, was working a farm next to his parents’ place and living with his wife and daughters in Woodland, Barry County. He was still living in Woodland in 1880.

By 1888 he had settled in Eagle, Clinton County, but by around 1896 he had returned to Barry County and was living in Nashville. Four years later he was reported living in Vermontville, Eaton County and in Grand Ledge, Eaton County in 1910 and 1911.

He was probably a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association, was a Methodist and in 1882 he applied for and received a pension (no. 672,688), drawing $12.00 per month in 1907.

Andrew died of arteriosclerosis on August 11, 1911, at his home in Grand Ledge and the funeral services were conducted by Rev. C. E. Pollok, pastor of the Methodist Church in Grand Ledge. He was buried on August 14 in Oakwood cemetery, Grand Ledge: section C, lot 62, grave 1.

In 1911 his widow applied for and received a pension (no. 730,878). She was reported as an honorary member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association and living in Woodland, Barry County after his death.