George W. Bracy - updated 05/06/2008

George W. Bracy was born in September of 1846, in Ohio, the son of Samuel (1825-1896) and Mary E. (Boyle, 1825-1897).

Vermont-born Samuel married Canadian-born Mary in Ohio in 1845 and they resided in Ohio for some years; in 1850 George was living with his parents in Cleveland’s Second Ward, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. By 1855 the family had settled in Michigan, and by 1860 Samuel had settled his wife and family in Raisin, Lenawee County where he worked as a blacksmith and George attended school with his younger siblings.

George stood 5’6” with hazel eyes, sandy or brown hair and a fair complexion and was 18 years old and possibly living in Muskegon, Muskegon County when he enlisted in Company F on February 8, 1864, at Grand Rapids for 3 years, crediting Muskegon County, and was mustered the same day. He was apparently stricken with mumps from March 12 to the 16th and with orchitis and intermittent fever from March 18 to the 23rd.

He soon recovered, however, and joined the Regiment on March 27, 1864, and was reportedly wounded in the hip at Spotsylvania Court House, on May 12, although cannot be confirmed for certain. He later claimed that in May of 1864 he “was disabled by an injury to the left side” as well as suffering from fever. In any case, he was subsequently hospitalized at Mansion House hospital in Alexandria, Virginia.

George was probably returned to duty and subsequently transferred to Company F, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864. He was absent sick from September 29, 1864, through June of 1865, and had apparently been transferred to the Fairfax Seminary hospital in the fall of 1864. He was reportedly “mustered out” on June 7, 1865, at Fairfax Seminary hospital, Virginia, but in fact he was probably discharged on that date for disability. Later he claimed that he had been ‘struck in the left side by the butt end of a confederate rifle,” and that he suffered.

After his discharge from the army, George returned to Michigan, settling in Macomb County, where he worked for many years as a blacksmith (a trade his father may have followed as well).

He was married to Ohio native Mary A. or Anna Mary West (b. 1850), in 1867 in Macomb County, and they had at least two children: Francis S. (b. 1869) and Herbert O. (b. 1872-1962). They were divorced in 1872.

They were living in Macomb County in 1869, and by 1870 George was working in a blacksmith’s shop and they were all living with the Chauncey West family in Mt. Clemens, Macomb County (Mary’s family).

By 1880 George was reported as divorced and living with his parents in Mt. Clemens where he was working as a blacksmith.

Sometime between 1880 and 1885 he married his second wife, Michigan native Eunice V. Hamilton (b. 1866), and they had at least three children: Myrton (b. 1885), Fred (b. 1887) and Nina or Nima (b. 1890).

By 1888 and 1891 he was living in Disco, Macomb County, in Shelby, Macomb County in 1894 and in Disco by 1898.

He was living in Macomb County in 1889 when he applied for and received a pension (no. 936288).

Sometime in the winter of 1902-03 George became seriously ill. On February 4, 1903, George’s attending physician, Dr. Alfred Yates of Washington, Macomb County, wrote the Pension Bureau that George was “utterly unable to leave his residence for the purpose of being examined for pension or for anything else.”

George was probably a widower when he died on April 5, 1903, probably in Michigan and was buried in Prestonville cemetery, Macomb County