Sidney J. Burlingson

Sidney J. Burlingson, also known as “Burleson” or “Burlison”, born 1843 in Lenawee County, Michigan, the son of Sidney R. (b. 1806) Sarah (b. 1808).

New York natives Sidney and Sarah were married sometime before 1832 and resided in New York for some years. Between 1834 and 1836 the family moved to Michigan and by 1850 Sidney J. was living with his family on a farm in Bethel, Branch County. In 1860 Sidney (younger) was attending school with four of his younger siblings and living on the family farm in Bethel.

Sidney stood 5’8” with hazel eyes, black hair and a dark complexion, and was an 18-year-old farmer possibly living in Branch County when he enlisted in Company F on May 13, 1861. He was sick with diarrhea from July 19 to July 22 and suffering from debility from July 22 to July 29 when he returned to duty. He was reported absent on picket duty the end of October of 1861 and the end of February of 1862. He was again suffering from acute diarrhea on January 2 to January 3 but eventually returned to duty.

He allegedly deserted somewhere in the area of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, on July 3, 1863, or possibly on July 8 while en route with the regiment from Gettysburg to Frederick, Maryland. This was later noted as being an erroneous report.

In any case, he returned to the regiment from desertion on September 6, 1863, at Troy, New York, where the Third Michigan had been sent to maintain order during the draft. He was reported as suffering from fever between September 16 and September 21, 1863, and again returned to duty.

He reenlisted on December 23, 1863, at Brandy Station, Virginia, crediting Grattan, Kent County, was absent on veteran’s furlough in January of 1864 and probably returned to the Regiment on or about the first of February.

Sidney was possibly missing in action sometime in early May of 1864, and was transferred to Company F, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864. He was wounded severely by a gunshot to the left shoulder and left side of the chest on October 27, 1864, while the Regiment was engaged at the Boydton Plank road and Hatcher’s Run, near Petersburg, Virginia, and he was absent sick. He was probably hospitalized through December, but was reported as absent on furlough from December 24, 1864 until January 20, 1865 when he returned to duty. Sidney was mustered out on July 5, 1865 at Jeffersonville, Indiana.

It is not known if Sidney returned to Michigan after the war.

Sidney was apparently living at Bristol Station, Kendall County, Illinois when he suffered a fall from a horse and lingered for a week or so before dying on November 7, 1870, the result of fractured spine.

That same year his mother was working as a domestic for the Watson family in Coldwater, Branch County, Michigan.

In February of 1891 his mother Sarah was living in Coldwater, Branch County, Michigan, when she applied for a dependent mother’s pension (no. 503518). The application was apparently rejected since the soldier did not die during the time he served in the army.