Charles Eddy - updated 2/28/09

Charles Eddy was born March 11, 1840 in Scotland, Ontario, Canada, the son of Constant (1817-1892) and Ann (Emmons, 1817-1859).

Charles’s parents were both born in Canada and married around 1837, probably in Scotland, Ontario where they were both born. They resided in Scotland for the remainder of their lives. Charles immigrated to the United States and by 1860 he was working as a farm laborer for Winfield Fuller, a farmer in Grattan, Kent County, Michigan, and probably living with (and/or working for another Grattan farmer by the name of Uriah Emmons, who was also from Ontario, Canada.

Charles stood 5’5” with blue eyes, brown hair and a light complexion, and was 21 years old and possibly living in Grand Rapids or Grattan when he enlisted in Company K on May 13, 1861, probably with Dave Emmons, having worked for Emmons’ father in Grattan. He was treated for typhoid fever during the latter two weeks of August of 1861.

Charles was a cattle guard in January of 1863, and was treated for gonorrhea September 24, 25 and 29, 1863. He reenlisted on December 24, 1863, at Brandy Station, Virginia, crediting Cannon, Kent County. He was presumably absent on veteran’s furlough in January of 1864 and probably returned to the Regiment on or about the first of February.

He was transferred to Company A, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and wounded by a gunshot in the left shoulder on October 27, 1864 at Boydton Plank road, near Petersburg, Virginia. He was probably hospitalized and reported absent sick from December of 1864 until he was discharged on May 31, 1865, at Detroit.

After his discharge from the army Charles returned to Grattan. He was probably living in Grattan when he married Michigan native Clara A. Close (1847-1930) on October 16, 1865; they had at least four (and probably five) children: Connor or Converse (b. 1869), Laura, Lilla and Harold.

By 1868-69, he was living in Grand Rapids working as a shoemaker for Small & Moseby and boarding on the east side of Waterloo between Louis and Ferry Streets, but was listed as a dry goods merchant living with his wife and son in Grattan, Kent County in 1870.

Charles was still in Grattan in 1879 and was operating a general store in Grattan in 1880 and living with his wife and two children, but by 1884 he was probably working in the Eddy & Huntley general store in Petoskey, Michigan. By 1892 and 1894 he was back in Grattan, and was apparently living in Belding’s First ward, Ionia County in 1894 and in Belding in 1911. He and Clara were living in Belding in 1920; also living with them was a niece, Kitty Lester.

Charles was a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association, as well as a member of Grand Army of the Republic Dan Root Post No. 126 in Belding, and he received pension no. 58,085, drawing $2.66 per month in 1883 for a wounded left shoulder, and $72 per month by 1925.

Charles died of malnutrition resulting from senility died on September 1, 1925, probably in or near Belding, and was buried in River Ridge cemetery, Otisco, Ionia County: section 2, lot no. 1.

His widow applied for and received a pension (no. 966585).