Albert Hayes update 10/18/2016

Albert Hayes was born in 1835 in Wales, Erie County, New York.

Sometime before the war broke out Albert left New York and moved westward, eventually settling in western Michigan, where he found work as a lumberman in Ottawa County. By 1860 Albert was working as a mill hand and living at the Paddock boarding house in Georgetown, Ottawa County, along with: John Finch (Company I), Joseph Ledbeter (Company B), Ben Parker (Company I), James Parm (Company I), Thomas Rowling (Company I), Alfred Tate (Company F) and William Tate (Company I), John M. Taylor (Company I).

He stood 5’11” with blue eyes, brown hair and a florid complexion and was a 26-year-old lumberman probably living and working in Georgetown, Ottawa County when he enlisted as Fourth Sergeant in Company I on May 13, 1861; Company I was made up largely of men from Ottawa County, particularly from the eastern side of the County. For reasons unknown, he was hospitalized on May 28, 1862, and by late June he was sick in a hospital in Bottom’s Bridge, Virginia, suffering from debility and exposure. On July 6 he arrived at the hospital at Fortress Monroe aboard the transport Knickerbocker, and by early August, he had been transferred again, this time to the College Hospital in New York City.

Albert eventually recovered his health and returned to the Regiment. He reenlisted on December 24, 1863, at Brandy Station, Virginia, crediting Spencer, Kent County, was presumably absent on veteran’s furlough, probably in Michigan, in January of 1864, and he probably returned to the Regiment on or about the first of February.

Albert was severely wounded in the right forearm on May 12, 1864, at Spotsylvania, Virginia, and admitted on May 16 to Campbell general hospital in Washington, DC, for a “canister through right forearm fracturing radius.” He was still absent wounded when he was transferred to Company I, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and was eventually transferred from Washington, DC, to St. Mary’s hospital in Detroit, and then to Harper hospital in Detroit where he was admitted on May 10, 1865. He was discharged on (probably) June 5, 1865 at Harper Hospital for “a gunshot wound of the right forearm at middle third necessitating resection of three inches of radius at seat of injury.”

He gave Oakville, Monroe County as his mailing address on his discharge paper, and in fact in 1864 he listed his next of kin as one Ames or Amos Hayes who then resided in Oakville. In June of 1865 he was living in Michigan when he applied for and received a pension (no. 80535).

Albert was probably living in Sumpter, Wayne County when he married Canadian Eliza Malvina Warden (1850-1901), on August 30, 1871, in Kensington, Oakland County, and they had at least three children: Albert (1872-1893), Milton (b. 1876) and Celia (Mrs. McMullen, b. 1878),

Albert and his family were living in Michigan in 1872, 1876 and 1878 when their children were born. By 1880 Albert was working as a butcher and living with his family in Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County. Albert left Michigan and moved out west, and by 1890 he was living in Vancouver, Clarke County, Washington. He was probably working as a laborer and living on the east side of West Street between 8th and 9th in Vancouver, Clarke County, Washington in 1891. They were still living in Vancouver when their son Bertie died in 1893. Albert listed as a pensioner living with his wife on West Street between 8th and 9th streets in 1900; also living with them were Milton and their daughter and her husband.

By 1911 he was reportedly living in Portland, Oregon when he was listed as a member of the Old 3rd Michigan Infantry Association.

(Both his son Albert and his wife Eliza are buried in Old Vancouver Cemetery, Vancouver, Washington.)