Andrew J. Hath update 10/18/2016

Andrew J. Hath was born in 1846 in Vermont, the son of Sanborn Sr. (1791-1879) and Emily (Hooker, b. 1802).

New Hampshire native Sanborn Sr. and Vermonter Emily were married in Peacham, Caledonia County, Vermont, in 1832. They eventually left Vermont and had settled in New York by 1837 when their son James was born, although apparently they returned to Vermont where they were living in 1841 and 1846. The family eventually moved on to Michigan and were probably living in Milan, Monroe County in 1840. Sanborn Sr. eventually settled his family in Dewitt, Clinton County. By 1860 Andrew was working as a farm laborer, attending school with his siblings and living on the family farm in Dewitt, Clinton County.

Andrew stood 5’8” with blue eyes, dark hair and a light complexion, and was a 15-year-old farmer possibly living in Dewitt when he enlisted, at the same time as his older half-brother Sanborn Hath, Jr., in Company G on May 13, 1861. According to Homer Thayer of Company G, Andrew was shot in the left leg on August 29, 1862, at Second Bull Run, and by mid-September was in E Street-Baptist Church hospital in Washington. He remained absent sick until he was discharged on March 18, 1863, at Detroit for a “gunshot wound of left leg inducing some lameness.”

Andrew listed Dewitt, Clinton County as his mailing address on his discharge paper, and was probably living in Dewitt n August of 1863 when he applied for and received a pension (no. 18674), drawing $4 per month by October of 1863.

Andrew reentered the service in Company C, 27th Michigan infantry on December 9, 1863, at Owosso, Shiawassee County for 3 years, crediting Owosso’s 1st Ward, and was mustered on January 29, 1864, at Ovid, Shiawassee County.

He probably joined the regiment in east Tennessee in February or early March, and in March he was sick at Honeyville, Tennessee. The regiment left Knoxville, Tennessee for Annapolis where it arrived on April 5 and then on to the James River where it eventually participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania and North Anna in May and also at Cold Harbor in early June. It is possible that Andrew was wounded on June 3 at or near Cold Harbor. In any case, he was reported as absent wounded in June.

Andrew died of his wounds on June 25, 1864, probably in a hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and was reportedly buried in Philadelphia’s National cemetery: no. 803.

By 1870 Sanborn, Sr and his wife were living in Charlotte, Eaton County.

In 1875 his mother applied for and received a pension (no. 174416). Sanborn Sr. died in Dewitt in 1879.