Henry H. Himelberger update 7/23/2017

Henry H. Himelberger was born August 3, 1837 in Port Byron, Cayuga County, New York.

Henry came to Coopersville, Ottawa County, Michigan in 1852 when he was 15 years old.

In February of 1857 Henry married New York native Sarah J. (1841-1903), and they had at least nine children: William E. (1858-1909), Elise or Nettie M. (1861-1939), Mary E. (b. 1864), Edwin A. (1867-1869), John Henry (1870-1906), George A. (1873-1926), Frederick A. (b. 1876), Leland E. or Claude (1880-1932).

By 1860 Henry was a farmer living with his wife in Coopersville.

Henry stood 5’9” with blue eyes, dark hair and a dark complexion and was 25 years old and possibly living in Polkton, Ottawa County when he enlisted in Company F on December 16, 1861, at Grand Rapids for 3 years, crediting Grattan, Kent County, and was mustered on December 23 at Detroit. Henry was absent sick in September of 1862, and on detached service in May of 1863 working in the Brigade bakery. He was apparently wounded in the right leg or foot on May 12, 1864, at Spotsylvania, Virginia, was subsequently hospitalized and eventually lost his right foot. According to statements he made on July 3 and again on July 14, 1865, he was wounded in his right leg below the knee on June 16, 1864, near Petersburg, Virginia, and subsequently had the leg amputated in the field on June 17.

Henry was probably still hospitalized when he was transferred to Company F, 5th Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the 3rd and 5th Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and was furloughed on August 28, 1864, for 15 days from Harewood hospital in Washington, DC. He eventually returned to Michigan and was admitted to St. Mary's hospital in Detroit on October 18, 1864, as a “permanently disabled soldier.” He was discharged for his wounds on either April 11 or 28, 1865, at Detroit.

After his discharge from the army Henry returned to western Michigan. He settled in Muskegon, Muskegon County where he was living in 1879, in Lakeside, Muskegon County with his wife and children in 1880 when he was working as mill engineer, and 1883. He was still living in Muskegon in 1886 but by 1888 he was residing in Ryerson, Muskegon County. In 1897 Henry was working as an engineer and living at 27 Estes Street in Muskegon. By 1900 he was living with his wife and son Claude in Muskegon’s 8th Ward, Muskegon County. He worked for some years as an engineer in the mills.

He received pension no. 49,455, dated April 11, 1865, and was drawing $8.00 in 1865, $15.00 as of August 22, 1866, increased to $18.00 by 1883, $30.00 by 1886 and $40.00 by 1904.

He was a member of the 3rd Michigan Infantry Association and Grand Army of the Republic Kearny Post No. 7 in Muskegon.

Henry was a widower when he died of blood poisoning on August 2, 1904, at his home at 27 Estes Street in Muskegon, and was buried in Oakwood cemetery in Muskegon.