Alexander McIntyre

Alexander McIntyre was born on December 7, 1840, in Goodrich, Huron County, Ontario, Canada.

Alexander left Canada sometime in 1859, and immigrated to the United States, eventually settling in Michigan sometime before the war broke out.

He stood 5’7” with blue eyes, brown hair and a florid complexion and was a 21-year-old trapper possibly living in Kent County when he enlisted as Sixth Corporal in Company K on May 13, 1861. He was shot in the left thigh on August 29, 1862, at Second Bull Run, and subsequently sent to Columbian College hospital in Washington, DC, where in early September he was reported dangerously ill. He was then reportedly sent to Fort McHenry, Maryland and remained hospitalized until he was discharged as a Sergeant on January 26, 1863, at Third Corps hospital near Fort Lyon for “scrotal hernia of right side produced by a fall at the chain bridge in July [of 1861] and a gunshot wound through the left thigh.”

After his discharge from the army Alexander returned to Michigan, and apparently settled in Jackson, Jackson County.

He married Michigan native Adelaide Francis Wing (1847-1916) on February 19, 1863, at Rives Township, Jackson County, and they had at least eight children: Fred (b. 1863), Jonathan J. (b. 1866), Alice (b. 1869), Albert D. (b. 1872), Eugene (b. 1874), Lillian (b. 1876), Will (b. 1880), Belle (b. 1882) and Clyde (b. 1884).

Sometime around 1868 Alexander moved to Pinckney, Livingston County and he probably lived the remainder of his life in Livingston County. By 1870 he was working as a brick mason and living with his wife and children in Brighton, Putnam Township, Livingston County. He was living in Pinckney in 1883 when he was drawing $6.00 per month for a wound to the left thigh (pension no. 16,537, originally drawing the rate of $4.00 per month in 1863); and by by 1914 he was drawing $24.00 per month. He was still living in Pinckney in 1890, 1894 and in 1914 when he applied for an increase in his pension allowance.

Alexander was still living in Pinckney when he died on September 13, 1915, and was buried in Pinckney protestant cemetery: section B, lot 75.

In 1915 his widow applied for a pension (no. 1054130), but the certificate was never granted.