George Morrison update 10/18/2016

George Morrison was born in 1839 in Michigan, probably the son of New York natives John Eddy (1804-1884) and Eliza (McKelvy, 1811-1880).

Sometime around the summer of 1833 John Morrison was the first settler of what is now Berlin Township in Ionia County. By 1850 John and Eliza had settled their family on a large farm in Berlin, Ionia County, where George attended school with his siblings. In 1860 George was working as a farm laborer and living with his fmaily in Berlin.

George (younger) stood 5’6” with blue eyes, light hair and a fair complexion and was a 23-year-old farmer probably living in Ionia County when he enlisted in Company G on February 28, 1862, at Saranac, Ionia County, Michigan, for 3 years, hand was mustered the same day. George was discharged for disability on June 3, 1862, or March 1, 1864, at Washington, DC.

After he was discharged from the army George probably returned to Ionia County where he apparently have reentered the service in Company C, 3rd Reorganized Michigan infantry on August 28, 1864, at Ionia, Ionia County for 3 years, mustered on August 29 at Grand Rapids.

He died on March 30, 1865, of dysentery at Nashville City hospital in Nashville, Tennessee, and was buried in the Nashville city cemetery. His remains were eventually transferred to the Nashville National Cemetery: J-14748.

No pension seems to be available.