Chandler J. Palmiter

Chandler J. Palmiter was born in 1845 in Ohio or New York, the son of Philander (b. 1824) and Grace (Flick, b. 1824).

New York native Philander married Pennsylvanian Grace and they eventually settled in Ohio by about 1845. The family left Ohio sometime between 1848 and 1854 by which time they had settled in Michigan. By 1860 Chandler was attending school with three of his younger siblings and living with his family on a farm Lowell, Kent County.

Chandler stood 5’10” with blue eyes, light hair and a light complexion and was 16 years old and possibly still living with his family in Lowell when he enlisted in Company D on May 13, 1861. (Company D was composed in large part of men who came from western Ionia County and Eaton County.) He reenlisted on December 21 1863, at Brandy Station, Virginia, crediting Lowell, was presumably absent on veteran’s furlough, probably at his family home in Lowell, and returned to the Regiment on or about the first of February.

He was hospitalized sometime in the spring of 1864, was reported on detached service as a nurse in the Division hospital in May and June and still absent detached as a nurse when he was transferred to Company A, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864. Chandler remained on detached service through at least September of 1864, and was mustered out of service on July 5, 1865, at Jeffersonville, Indiana.

It is not known if Chandler returned to Michigan after the war.

Chandler married Indiana native Adelia (b. 1845).

By 1891 he was living in Illinois when he applied for and received a pension (no. 970431).

By 1920 he was living with his wife “Delia” in Union, Perry County, Indiana, and by 1930 he was living with his wife Adelia in Alton, Crawford County, Indiana.

Chandler died on January 12, 1931, in Alton, Crawford County, Indiana, and was presumably buried there.