George W. Remington

George W. Remington was born in 1826 in New York, the son of New York native Esther (b. 1805).

George married New York native Cecilia (b. 1831), probably in New York, and they had at least two children: Nate (b. 1855) and Cyrus (b. 1858).

They probably moved from New York to Ohio sometime before 1855 then on to Michigan before 1858. By 1859-60 George was working as a clerk and living on the south side of Lyon between Lafayette and Prospect Streets, and in 1860 he was listed as a clerk living with his wife and children in Grand Rapids’ Third Ward.

George was 35 years old and probably still living in Grand Rapids when he enlisted as Fifth Sergeant in Company F on May 13, 1861. He was eventually detached as Commissary Sergeant, and was absent sick in a hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on August 9, 1862. He was promoted to Second Lieutenant of Company E on September 22, replacing Lieutenant David C. Crawford, and promoted to First Lieutenant on October 25, commissioned the same day and assigned to Company D, replacing Lieutenant George Dodge. George was appointed Regimental Adjutant on November 23, 1862, commissioned the same day, replacing Lieutenant Elisha Stevens.

Mistakenly assuming Remington had come home on a furlough only, the Eagle of August 1, 1863, wrote that “We understand that Captain G. W. Remington, of the Third, has returned on a short furlough to visit his family and friends here. -- The captain left this city with that command, and he has been ‘through thick and thin’ up to the present time.”

In fact, he was absent and detached on recruiting service in Grand Rapids from July 27, 1863, and did not return to the Regiment until March 25, 1864, when the Eagle reported that “Capt. Remington, of the glorious ‘Old 3rd’, who has been in detached service connected with this military post for several months past, left this city today to rejoin his command. Success to the captain and the gallant boys belonging to that battle-scarred and war-worn veteran Regiment.” George was mustered out of service on June 20, 1864.

After his discharge George returned to Grand Rapids where he arrived on June 23, 1864.

He married his second wife, Michigan native Satira Roberts (1842-1909), probably in 1865, and they had at least four children: John, Robert, Mrs. Thomas Lamb and Mrs. Edwin Wheeler.

By 1867-68 George was working as a flour dealer and residing at 22 Washington Street from 1867 to 1869. In 1870 George was working as a clerk in a store and living with his second wife and four children (two by his previous marriage) in Grand Rapids’ Third Ward; also living with them was George’s mother Esther.

He was a Master Mason, a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association, serving for some years as Secretary.

George died of pneumonia on May 28, 1878, presumably at his home on Third Avenue in Grand Rapids. His funeral was held two days later.

The 30th of May [wrote the Democrat] has been for years regarded as a day of peculiar and absorbing interest to the veteran volunteers of Michigan; but yesterday it had a deeper, a holier signification, for not only had the graves of their departed comrades to be decorated, but a fresh one was to receive its tenant and to be filled and decorated at the same time. A 2 p.m. the surviving members of the old Third Infantry Volunteers gathered at the home of their late comrade, Capt. Geo. W. Remington, in Third Avenue, to pay their last respect[s] to his remains. The solemn and touching services for the dead, of the Episcopal church, were read by the Rev. W. H. Knowlton, followed by the impressive Masonic ceremonial, performed by the officers of Valley City Lodge No. 34, of which the deceased was a member.

The remains were then taken to Oak Hill cemetery, escorted by the brethren of Lodge, and followed by the mourning friends and a large delegation of the Old Third.

The funeral ceremonies at the grave consisted of the concluding portion of the Masonic burial service, conducted by the Worshipful Master, E. Wygant, assisted by the Rev. J. Morgan Smith, followed by that of the Episcopal Church by the Rev. Mr. Knowlton.

When dust had indeed been mingled with dust, and the final spadeful of earth put on the new made mound, Capt. Remington's old comrades performed their portion of the solemn ceremonial by tastefully decorating the last long home of their old friend with flowers and flags, and never was the decoration of a soldier's grave performed under more affecting circumstances.

From the fresh soil of the new made grave the veterans proceeded to Fulton Street cemetery to visit the tombs of their old associates who had gone before, amongst others, those of Rev. F. H. Cuming, Chaplain; Gen. Stephen G. Champlin, Capt. Robt. M. Collins, Capt. Samuel A. Judd, Maj. Peter A. Weber, Lieut. Chas. H. Cary; also Capt. B. B. Church, Lieuts. D. B. Lyons and Thos B. B. Mitchell. It rejoiced much the members of the Third and veterans generally who [were] present, to find that all these graves had been tastefully decorated.

Upon the return of the Regimental Association they were again convened in meeting, and many of the traits of their late Secretary [Remington], whose reminiscences of old times would now be missed at their social gatherings, were recalled. he was described as brave, generous and noble, respected by all, and now deeply regretted. Resolutions of respect to his memory, and of sympathy with his bereaved family were then passed, and thus ended Decoration Day with the Old Third Infantry.

George was buried in Oak Hill cemetery: section 1 lot 100.

In 1880 his widow applied for and received a pension (no. 196461), dated June of 1882, drawing $14.00 a month in 1883. She was living in Grand Rapids in 1883 and in Wyoming, Kent County in 1890.