1st Michigan cav

James C. Hayward

[This may be the same James Hayward who served in Company K, 3rd Michigan Infantry.]

James C. Hayward was born in August 14, 1821, in Mount Morris, New York, the son of Abijah Hayward and Rachel Allwood.

James married Scottish immigrant Jane McGowen (1826-1897) and they had at least four children: James W. (b. 1854), Marguerette (b. 1858), Charles (b. 1860) and Emma (1861-1942, Mrs. Abel).

By 1850 they were living in Amherst, Lorain County, Ohio and moved on to Michigan between 1854 and 1858. By 1860 James was working as a shingle-maker living with his wife and three children in Nelson, Kent County. (In 1860 there was a deaf farm laborer named Amherst Hayward living with the Vorce or Bouce family in Ionia, Ionia County.)

James enlisted in Company F, 6th Michigan Cavalry on September 8, 1862, at Nelson for 3 years, crediting Nelson, and was mustered on October 13 at Grand Rapids where the regiment was being organized. The 6th remained on duty at Grand Rapids until December 10 when it left for Washington where it participated in the defenses of the capital. He was discharged for disability on April 1, 1863.

He reentered the service (listed as James Haywood) in Company K, 6th Michigan cavalry on February 22, 1864, for three years, and was mustered the same day, and was transferred to Company H, 1st Michigan Cavalry on November 17, 1865. He was discharged at Detroit on April 16, 1866. James eventually returned to western Michigan.

Hayward who was working as a farmer and living with his wife Jane and son Charles in Richland, Montcalm County in 1880. He was living in Michigan in 1880 when he applied for and received a pension (no. 291775) for service in both cavalry regiments.

By 1890 the James Hayward who had served in the 6th Michigan cavalry was living in Home, Montcalm County.

After Jane died he married New York native Mrs. Cynthia Newell Phelps (1828-1902) on August 4, 1897 in Courtland, Kent County.

In 1900 he and Cynthia and her son (?) from her first marriage, James Phelps, were living in Courtland.

James was a widower when he died of old age on June 1, 1905 and was buried in Vinewood cemetery, Edmore, Montcalm County, alongside Jane.

Charles B. Lewis

Charles B. Lewis was born in 1841 in Medina, Ohio, the son of George (b. 1812) and Clarissa (b. 1814).

Connecticut native George married Ohio-born Clarissa and settled in Ohio where they resided for some years. His family moved to Michigan from Ohio sometime after 1850, and by 1860 Charles was working as an apprentice chair-maker and/or printer and attending school with his siblings and living with his family in Lansing’s First Ward where his father worked as a carpenter and joiner.

Charles stood 5’5” with gray eyes, auburn hair and a fair complexion and was 20 years old and residing in Ingham County, probably in Lansing, when he enlisted in Company G on May 13, 1861 -- he was possibly related to Albert Lewis of Company G. (Company G, formerly the “Williams’ Rifles,” was made up predominantly of men from the Lansing area.) Although Charles was officially listed as discharged on September 1, 1861, for chronic rheumatism, according to Frank Siverd of Company G, Lewis and two other men of Company G had in fact been discharged and sent home the first week of August.

In any case, Charles soon returned to Michigan where he reentered the service in Company E, Sixth Michigan cavalry on February 17, 1865, at Jackson, Jackson County for 1 year, crediting Lansing’s Fourth Ward, and was mustered the same day. He joined the Regiment on March 19, was on detached service from July through September, and was on detached service at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas when he was transferred along with the veterans and recruits to Company H, First Michigan cavalry on November 17, 1865. The First Michigan cavalry served was on duty in the District of Utah from November of 1865 until March of 1866.

Charles was reported on detached service with the First Michigan cavalry from November of 1865 through February of 1866, and honorably discharged on August 17, 1866, at Fort Leavenworth. (The regiment had mustered out on March 10, 1866, however.)

It is not known if Charles returned to Michigan after the war, although it is possible that he was living in Detroit in 1870. He was probably residing in New York in 1904 when he applied for and received a pension (1099565).

Charles died on August 21, 1924 in Brooklyn, New York.

George Dana Hill - update 8/29/2016

George Dana Hill was born in June of 1839 in Somerset, England, Michigan or Lorain, Ohio, the son of Bezabeel Hill Jr. and Mary Bryant Thayer. According to one source, George and his family left Ohio and by 1850 had settled in Vevay, Ingham County. It is also possible that he was working as a clerk in Grand Rapids, when the war broke out, He was a 22-year-old farmer possibly living in Clinton County or Ingham Co

unty when he enlisted as a Musician in Company D on May 13, 1861; he was possibly related to George H. Hill of Company E. (Company D was composed in large part of men who came from western Ionia County and Eaton County.) George D. was promoted from Musician Third Class to Principal Musician on January 1, 1862, and discharged at Camp Pitcher, Virginia, on January 17, 1863.

He returned to Michigan where he reentered the service as First Sergeant in Company I, First Michigan cavalry on October 23, 1863, at Vevay, Ingham County, for 3 years, crediting Vevay, and was mustered the same day at Mt. Clemens, Macomb County.

He was wounded at Trevillian Station, Virginia, on June 11, 1864, again at Winchester, Virginia, on September 19, 1864, and furloughed November 27, 1864. He reported to Detroit Barracks on March 1, 1865, and was reported as promoted to Second Lieutenant of Company A in January of 1865, commissioned as of October 25, 1864, mustered on January 2, 1865, at Winchester, Virginia, replacing Lieutenant Pierson. In March and April he was reported as acting Adjutant, and was wounded in the head and arm at Appomattox courthouse on April 9, 1865, resulting in the loss of his left arm. He was admitted to the general hospital at Farmville, Virginia, on April 13.

George was promoted to First Lieutenant and Adjutant in May, commissioned as of March 7, and mustered as of May 1 at St. Louis, Missouri, replacing Lieutenant Beach. (Curiously, though, the regiment participated in the Grand Review in Washington on May 23 and didn’t move west, to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, until June 1.)

He was absent with leave in June and in July, on detached service at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas through September, and was mustered out on November 11, 1865, at Fort Leavenworth.

George reentered the service as First Lieutenant on July 28, 1866, in the 42nd United States infantry, brevetted Captain on March 2, 1867, and was retired as a Captain on December 31, 1870.

George was probably living in Washington Territory when he married Maine native Ellen Hooper Kellogg (1845-1887), on March 28, 1872, at the home of her brother David Kellogg in Seattle, and they had at least four children: Eliza Maud (b. 1873), George Edward (b. 1877), Ellen Kellogg (b. 1881) and Eugene Cary (b. 1883).

They were living in Washington Territory in 1873 and 1879, and in fact lived for many years in Seattle, King County. By 1880 he was listed as a retired army officer and living with his wife and children in Seattle, King County, Washington Territory; also living with them were two servants. In 1866 he applied for and received a pension (no. 65392).

George was a widower when he drowned at Anacortes, Washington on December 4, 1890, and was buried in Lakeview Cemetery, Seattle.

In January of 1891 David Kellogg, then residing in Washington State applied for and received a minor child’s pension (no. 397963).