Derbraw

Newton Derbraw

Newton Derbraw, also known as “Durbarand”, was born in 1839, in New York, probably the son of Thomas (b. 1798) and Mary (b. 1801).

Pennsylvania natives Thomas and Mary eventually settled in New York where they lived for many years. By 1850 Newton was probably attending school with his siblings and living with his family on a farm in Clarence, Erie County, New York. Newton’s parents were still living in Clarence, Erie County, New York in 1860.

Newton eventually left New York and moved west.

Newton was 22 years old and probably living in Ionia County when he enlisted in Company D on May 13, 1861. (Company D was composed in large part of men who came from western Ionia County and Eaton County.) Although possibly on duty with the Regiment through the spring of 1862, he was a provost guard in July of 1862, absent sick in August, on guard duty from September through October, on guard at Brigade headquarters in November, and was on guard at Division headquarters in December of 1862. Indeed, it appears that Newton probably never rejoined the Regiment.

From January of 1863 through March he was a guard at Corps headquarters and in April he was at Division where he remained through July. In October he was absent sick in a hospital in Alexandria, Virginia, through December, and in January of 1864 he was sick in Washington, DC. He was reportedly wounded in the hand in early May, and was mustered out of service as a Corporal on June 20, 1864.

It is not known if Newton ever returned to Michigan, although it seems likely since he married Michigan native Alice (b. 1853), and they had at least one child, a son: Glen (b. 1878).

Newton and Alice left Michigan (assuming they were living there) and eventually settled in Missouri where they were living when their son Glen was born. By 1880 Newton was working and living with his wife and son in Lincoln, Jasper County, Missouri. Next door lived his father and Newton’s two sisters Mary and Sarah (both born in New York). Newton was probably living in Seymour, Webster County, Missouri around 1907.

He was residing in Missouri in 1890 when he applied for and received a pension (no. 585156).