Eddy

Charles Eddy - updated 2/28/09

Charles Eddy was born March 11, 1840 in Scotland, Ontario, Canada, the son of Constant (1817-1892) and Ann (Emmons, 1817-1859).

Charles’s parents were both born in Canada and married around 1837, probably in Scotland, Ontario where they were both born. They resided in Scotland for the remainder of their lives. Charles immigrated to the United States and by 1860 he was working as a farm laborer for Winfield Fuller, a farmer in Grattan, Kent County, Michigan, and probably living with (and/or working for another Grattan farmer by the name of Uriah Emmons, who was also from Ontario, Canada.

Charles stood 5’5” with blue eyes, brown hair and a light complexion, and was 21 years old and possibly living in Grand Rapids or Grattan when he enlisted in Company K on May 13, 1861, probably with Dave Emmons, having worked for Emmons’ father in Grattan. He was treated for typhoid fever during the latter two weeks of August of 1861.

Charles was a cattle guard in January of 1863, and was treated for gonorrhea September 24, 25 and 29, 1863. He reenlisted on December 24, 1863, at Brandy Station, Virginia, crediting Cannon, Kent County. He was presumably absent on veteran’s furlough in January of 1864 and probably returned to the Regiment on or about the first of February.

He was transferred to Company A, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and wounded by a gunshot in the left shoulder on October 27, 1864 at Boydton Plank road, near Petersburg, Virginia. He was probably hospitalized and reported absent sick from December of 1864 until he was discharged on May 31, 1865, at Detroit.

After his discharge from the army Charles returned to Grattan. He was probably living in Grattan when he married Michigan native Clara A. Close (1847-1930) on October 16, 1865; they had at least four (and probably five) children: Connor or Converse (b. 1869), Laura, Lilla and Harold.

By 1868-69, he was living in Grand Rapids working as a shoemaker for Small & Moseby and boarding on the east side of Waterloo between Louis and Ferry Streets, but was listed as a dry goods merchant living with his wife and son in Grattan, Kent County in 1870.

Charles was still in Grattan in 1879 and was operating a general store in Grattan in 1880 and living with his wife and two children, but by 1884 he was probably working in the Eddy & Huntley general store in Petoskey, Michigan. By 1892 and 1894 he was back in Grattan, and was apparently living in Belding’s First ward, Ionia County in 1894 and in Belding in 1911. He and Clara were living in Belding in 1920; also living with them was a niece, Kitty Lester.

Charles was a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association, as well as a member of Grand Army of the Republic Dan Root Post No. 126 in Belding, and he received pension no. 58,085, drawing $2.66 per month in 1883 for a wounded left shoulder, and $72 per month by 1925.

Charles died of malnutrition resulting from senility died on September 1, 1925, probably in or near Belding, and was buried in River Ridge cemetery, Otisco, Ionia County: section 2, lot no. 1.

His widow applied for and received a pension (no. 966585).

Abraham Eddy

Abraham Eddy was born August 16, 1840, in Eagle, Clinton County, Michigan, the son of Abraham (1803-1842) and Sophia (Harrington, 1803-1869).

Vermont-born Sophia married Abraham or Abram and they settled in Michigan by 1833 when their son Alanson (d. 1855) was born. Abram was living in Clinton County in 1840. Sometime after Abram died in 1842 (he was buried in North Eagle cemetery, Clinton County) Sophia remarried Daniel Newsome and by 1850 the family -- including young Abraham and his four siblings -- were all living in Eagle, Clinton County where the children attended school. By 1860 Abraham was a student living with his stepfather and mother in Eagle.

Abraham stood 5’10” with blue eyes, brown hair and a dark complexion, and was 20 years old and living in Clinton County (probably in Eagle) when he enlisted in Company E on May 13, 1861. (Company E was composed in large part by men from Clinton and Ingham counties, as well as parts of Ionia County.) Abraham was reported in the hospital at Alexandria, Virginia from July of 1862 through October, and was discharged for general debility on December 9, 1862, at Portsmouth Grove, Rhode Island.

After he left the army Abraham returned to Michigan. He married to Orpha Cornelia Robinson (1844-1924) on October 6, 1863, in Dewitt, Clinton County, and they had at least three children: Emily M. (1864-1866), Gracie A. (b. 1868) and Carrie (b. 1880); one of the latter two was Mrs. Edward Savage.

Around 1869 Abraham left Clinton County and settled in Muskegon, where he worked as a laborer for the railroad for some thirty years.

He was living in Muskegon, Muskegon County on July 31, 1879, when he became a charter member of Grand Army of the Republic Kearny Post No. 7 in Muskegon. He was working on the boom and living in Muskegon’s First Ward with his wife and children in 1880. He was still living in Muskegon in September of 1885 when he became a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association. (He probably served as the Association’s last secretary in 1927, the year the association was dissolved.) He was living at 156 Ottawa in Muskegon in 1888 and in 1890, and working for the Muskegon Railway; by 1894 he was residing in the First Ward. By 1907 he had moved to Grand Rapids and was probably living at 366 Ionia Street, and for a time was employed in a furniture factory.

In 1913 Abraham was living at 103 1/2 South Division Street, and on December 4, 1913, he was mustered into the Grand Army of the Republic Watson Post No. 395 in Grand Rapids. He remained in Grand Rapids until about August of 1924 when he moved to Sandusky, Ohio to live with his daughter, Mrs. Edward Savage, and was transferred from the GAR Watson post on August 16, 1924, probably to the McMeens Grand Army of the Republic Post in Sandusky, Ohio. By 1929 he was living at 1502 Central Avenue in Sandusky, Ohio.

In 1880 Abraham applied for and received a pension (no. 250189).

Abraham was a widower when he died at Good Samaritan hospital in Sandusky, Ohio on March 7, 1935, and his body was returned to Clinton County where he was buried in North Eagle cemetery: Center section 7 lot 3. Abraham may very well have been the last survivor of the original Third Michigan Regiment which left Grand Rapids for Washington, DC, on June 13, 1861, and one of the remaining two or three survivors of the entire Regiment.