Ireland

John Wright (1)

John Wright (1) was born in 1831 in Ireland, the son of Oliver W. (b. 1804) and Ann (Best, b. 1803).

Sometime between 1831 and 1834 John and his parents left Ireland and immigrated to North America, settling first in Canada by 1834, and moving to New York sometime between 1834 and 1837. They lived in New York for some years and by 1850 John was working as a sailor and living with his family in Hounsfield, Jefferson County, New York, where his father was a laborer (and his mother was unable to read or write). In any case, John left New York and moved westward, settling in western Michigan by the winter of 1862.

John stood 5’8’’ with brown eyes and hair and a dark complexion, was 31 years old and possibly living in Ionia County when he enlisted in Company C on February 13, 1862, at Saranac, Ionia County for 3 years, and was mustered the same day. He was suffering from debility when he was admitted to the hospital (probably Chesapeake) at Fortress Monroe, Virginia on August 12, 1862, and transferred on August 16 to the general hospital at Annapolis, Maryland. He was sick in the hospital in Baltimore, Maryland through December, and was dropped from the company rolls on January 10, 1863, at Camp Pitcher, Virginia.

In fact he never rejoined the regiment, and was admitted to the general hospital in Alexandria, Virginia on January 17, 1863, suffering from the effects of typhoid fever. He was discharged at Alexandria, Virginia, on February 16, 1863, for ‘stiffness of the joints and chronic rheumatism.”

John listed Sackett’s Harbor, New York, as his mailing address on his discharge paper, and indeed he probably returned to his family home where he worked for a time as a sailor (probably on Lake Ontario). He eventually returned to Michigan, however, and was living in Tuscola, Tuscola County by 1890.

He was a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association. In 1876 he applied for and received pension number 250,320.

John was admitted to the Michigan Soldiers’ Home (no. 3417) on July 14, 1900 and died five days later. He was buried in the Home cemetery: section 4 row 9 grave no. 8;

Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan was born in 1833 in Berry, Ireland.

Jerry, who was unable to read or write, left Ireland and came to America, eventually settling in western Michigan where by 1860 he was a lumberman and mill laborer working for the Richard Roberts’ mill in Allendale, Ottawa County, along with Henry Dykema (who would also enlist in Company C), and living with another mill laborer, John Boon. The following year Jerry was reported to own property in section 26, or about 1 1/2 miles south of Charleston, Ottawa County.

In any case, he stood 5’6” with black eyes and hair and a dark complexion and was 28 years old and residing in Allendale when he enlisted in Company C on May 13, 1861. He was sick in his quarters during the winter of 1861-62, but was probably present for duty when he was wounded by gunfire on November 30, 1863, at Mine Run, Virginia.

Jerry died the same day from his wounds, and was presumably buried among the unknown soldiers at Mine Run.

No pension seems to be available.

Robert Strong

Robert Strong was born in 1808 in Ireland.

Robert married Irish-born Elizabeth (1823-1907), possibly in Ireland, and they had at least eight children: Robert (b. 1845), James (b. 1847), Mary A. (b. 1850), William (b. 1853), Henry (b. 1855), Abram (1856-1860), Richard (b. 1859), and Amy A. (1864-65).

Robert and his wife both immigrated to America and had settled in Canada by 1845 when their oldest son Robert was born. Sometime between 1847 and 1850 they moved to New York, and moving westward they eventually settled in Michigan by 1856. By 1860 Robert was working a farm (he owned some $6000 worth of real estate) and he was living with his wife and children in Hastings, Barry County.

Robert stood 5’8” with gray eyes and hair and a dark complexion and was a 56-year-old farmer possibly living in Assyria, Barry County when he enlisted in Company B on February 8, 1864, at Grand Rapids for 3 years, and was mustered the same day. He joined the Regiment on March 10 at Culpeper, Virginia, and was slightly wounded in the leg in early May. He was probably absent sick when he was transferred to Company E, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and was subsequently reported absent sick from June 5, 1864 through April of 1865. He was discharged on May 19, 1865, at Annapolis, Maryland.

After the war Robert returned to Barry County.

In 1872 (?) he applied for a pension (no. 177294).

Robert died on March 20, 1878, possibly in Barry County, but in any case was buried in Barryville cemetery.

His widow was living in Castleton, Barry County in 1880 and in 1890.

William L. Ryan

William L. Ryan was born on April 15, 1832, in either Leinster or Queen’s County, Ireland.

Although William was reported to have fought in the Mexican War, in fact he did not immigrate to North America until the spring of 1854. (Curiously, one source reported years later that “he had been a soldier in Ireland for a time. . . “) Soon after arriving in North America he first settled in Huron, Canada, staying there but a few months before moving to Grand Rapids and then to Spring Lake, Ottawa County, and in 1857 to Muskegon, Muskegon County.

William was married to Maria O’Hara (d. 1857?), and they had at least two children: William (b. 1854) and Mary Ann (b. 1856).

By 1860 William was a sawyer working in Muskegon and living at the Averill boarding house along with Thomas Waters and George Root (both of whom would also join Company H). His two children were reportedly living with their paternal grandmother Ann and uncles Joseph and Patrick (William L.’s younger brothers) in Walker, Kent County.

According to William as soon as he and Waters heard about the fall of Fort Sumter they decided to enlist together, joining the company then forming in Muskegon. Originally called the “Muskegon Rangers,” this company would be organized under the command of Captain Emery Bryant and become Company H in the Third Michigan Infantry.

William was 29 years old when he was elected Second Lieutenant of the “Muskegon Rangers,” the militia company that was organized in Muskegon in late April of 1861 and whose members would form the nucleus of Company H; he enlisted as Second Lieutenant in Company H, probably in late April of 1861.

On June 13, 1861, the Third Michigan left Grand Rapids for Washington, DC, where it arrived on June 16 and went into camp near the Chain Bridge along the Potomac River just above Georgetown. According to Dan Crotty of Company F, soon after the Regiment reached its camp at Chain Bridge, “We throw ourselves down on mother earth, on the banks of the beautiful and historic Potomac, to rest our weary limbs. Here Lieutenant Ryan, an old soldier, is ordered to lay out a camp, which he does, and we call it, after our Michigan War Governor, Camp [Austin] Blair.” Charles Brittain also of Company H, thought “Bill Ryan” a first-rate fellow.

William was commissioned First Lieutenant on October 28, 1861.

He was shot in the hip on August 29, 1862, at Second Bull Run. He was “badly wounded in the hip,” wrote Crotty some years after the war, “but by good nursing and a strong constitution he may get over it.” William was commissioned Captain of Company H on October 20, replacing Captain Emery D. Bryant.

He returned to Grand Rapids in the fall of 1862 and married Maria Cloonen (1842-1899) on November 11, 1862, at Grand Rapids.

William resigned on account of disability on March 24, 1863, at Camp Pitcher, Virginia.

It is not known if William returned to Muskegon following his discharge.

In the fall of 1864 he entered the Veterans’ Reserve Corps in New Jersey and was commissioned a First Lieutenant in Company C, then in Company E, and transferred to the Thirteenth Veterans’ Reserve Corps as Assistant Mustering Officer and Inspector of Passports at Boston harbor.

In October of 1864 he returned to western Michigan on a short furlough. Captain “Ryan, late of the old Third,” wrote the Grand Rapids Eagle on October 17, “who is now of the Thirteenth Veteran Reserve Corps in command of ‘B’ Street Barracks, Boston, Mass., has just returned on a short furlough. His numerous friends in this city and vicinity will greet him with open arms and warm hearts.” By the end of the month Ryan had left to rejoin his command in Boston.

William was subsequently appointed Assistant commissioner of the Freedman’s Bureau in Mississippi, and finally discharged from the Bureau in 1867. (Curiously, his daughter Mary Ann was still living with her grandmother and Uncle Joseph in Walker in 1870.)

After he left the Freedman’s Bureau William returned to Muskegon where he served as City Marshal from 1867-70, and was the first Democratic sheriff in Muskegon County, serving from 1874-78. He had also been a deputy sheriff and constable. On September 4, 1877, the Democrat reported the following story.

Major W. L. Ryan, Sheriff of Muskegon County, was somewhat injured yesterday while conveying a prisoner sentenced for 3 months to the House of Corrections at Ionia. The prisoner, while traveling in custody over the Detroit & Milwaukee railroad about four miles west of Coopersville, suddenly sprang from the sheriff and started for the door, and immediately jumped from the platform while the train was going at a rapid rate, closely followed by the plucky sheriff. This caused considerable excitement on the train, and Conductor Anderson immediately signaled the engineer, and the train backed up to where the prisoner and sheriff alighted. The sheriff was found to be somewhat bruised, and in no very favorable condition to give chase to the scoundrel, who had taken to the brush and was out of sight. Several trackmen who were at work on the road near by started to capture the prisoner, while Sheriff Ryan got on board the train again and went to Coopersville for an officer to assist him in further search for the fugitive. As this is the first case Sheriff Ryan has ever had of an escape of a prisoner, it is to be hoped he may be successful in the capture of the rogue.

William served as a Justice of the Peace in Muskegon from 1879-83, and in 1880 was living in Muskegon’s Third Ward with his wife Maria. In 1881 he was a Police Justice. He was still living in Muskegon in 1882, 1886, 1888, 1890-91 and in fact he probably remained in Muskegon until 1894 when he was admitted briefly to the Michigan Soldiers’ Home in Grand Rapids; by 1895 he was reportedly living in Muskegon.

He was a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association, and at the annual reunions he was known for speaking his mind about the war. For example, at the 1882 reunion of the Association, “W. L. Ryan of Muskegon threw a small bomb into the rather harmonious gathering by jumping up and making three cheers for the expected restoration of Fitz John Porter and said no soldier of the ‘Old Third’ ought to fail to respond.” The Democrat added that General A. T. McReynolds “endorsed the request, several were preparing to object, and a stormy time was imminent when the meeting was suddenly adjourned.”

William was also the charter commander of Grand Army of the Republic Kearny Post No. 7 in 1879 in Muskegon, a staunch Democrat, and a Roman Catholic.

In 1870 he testified for the prosecution in the second trial of George Vanderpool, formerly of Company H, who had been charged with murdering his business partner in Manistee.

Ryan suffered for many years from “rheumatism,” and he sought a variety of cures for the chronic illness. On April 26, 1892, Ryan told a reporter for the Democrat

that for more than 20 years he had been fighting the dreaded disease, but its grip grew stronger each succeeding year. For 12 months past he has been confined to his room, and it is two years since the Major could walk without assistance. Four weeks ago he began a course of treatment with Madame Debanshaw. At that time he had to be fed like a child, and was so completely helpless that he could not move in his chair without aid. But since the beginning of these treatments his general health has improved rapidly, his rheumatism with every pain is gone and today he is around again among his friends. He recommends Madam Debanshaw's magnetic remedy very strongly to those suffering from the same disease. Madam's office is located at 87 Western Avenue, Muskegon.

William reportedly entered the Michigan Soldiers’ Home in Grand Rapids in February of 1864, and for a time his wife and daughter lived in rooms on Fountain Street in Grand Rapids while he was treated for sever “rheumatism” in the Home. According to his death certificate, William entered the Home January 17, 1895.

He died of heart failure and epilepsy at the Home hospital on Friday morning, January 31, 1896, and the funeral service was held at 9:00 a.m. on Monday morning, February 3, at the Home hospital; his wife was living at 17 North Lane Avenue in Grand Rapids. There was a funeral mass at St. Andrews Church, and William was buried in St. Andrews cemetery: New section 2 lot 35 grave 2.

In 1863 William applied for and received a veteran’s pension (no. 88354). His widow applied for and received a dependent widow’s pension (no. 437458).

James O’Donahue

James O’Donahue was born in 1838 in Ireland.

James immigrated to America and settled in western Michigan by 1860 when he was a clerk living with and/or working for Patrick Davoll, also from Ireland, and a farmer in Big Prairie, Newaygo County.

He stood 5’9” with blue eyes, auburn hair and a light complexion and was 23 years old and residing in Newaygo County when he enlisted as First Corporal in Company K on May 13, 1861. He had been promoted to Sergeant by the time he was shot in the right thigh on August 29, 1862, at Second Bull Run, and subsequently hospitalized at Fort McHenry, Maryland in September. He remained absent sick in a general hospital until he was discharged on February 26, 1863, at Columbian College hospital, Washington, DC, for a “gunshot wound at the junction of upper and middle third of right thigh, injuring sciatic nerve and causing wasting of muscles with partial loss of motion.”

It is not known if James returned to Michigan after his discharge from the army.

No pension seems to be available.

Charles Ellet

Charles Ellet was born May 24, 1818 in Dublin, Ireland, the son of James.

Charles’ parents were both born in Dublin and presumably died there. At the age of 13 Charles immigrated to North America by himself.

He was living in Canada in 1838 when he married Canadian-born Irene Reed (1821-1905), and they had at least five children: Lovina (b. 1842), James (b. 1846) and Lemuel (1850-1882), Fannie E. (1852-1920) and Alvina or Elzina (b. 1853).

Charles moved his family from Canada to Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 1848 (or possibly as early as 1846) and operated one of the first meat markets in the city.

According to Grand Rapids historian Albert Baxter, in “1842 Wm. R. Barnard opened a meat market in the pioneer building at the western angle of Prospect Hill, near the junction of Monroe and Pearl Streets. This was the first market for the regular supply of cut meats of which there is any published record. Robert M. Barr and Consider Guild, in 1848, were operating a meat market at the same place.” Ellet “was among those temporarily in the [meat] business about that time.”’

By 1850 Charles was living and working as a grocer in Grand Rapids, and eventually left the meat cutting trade working at a variety of jobs until the war broke out. (Charles may have joined the Grand Rapids Artillery in 1859. Under the command of Captain Baker borden, the GRA would serve as the nucleus for Company B, also under the command of Borden, of the Third Michigan infantry.) In 1859-60 Charles was working as a laborer and living on the east side of Broadway between Bridge and First Streets on the west side of the Grand River, and he was apparently employed as a lumberman in 1860 living in the Fourth Ward.

Charles was 43 years old and living in Grand Rapids when he enlisted in Company B on May 13, 1861. By September of 1862 he was employed as a wagoner, probably in the Brigade wagon trains, and was reported as a wagoner with the Brigade trains from April of 1863 through July, in October was with the supply train, probably serving as a teamster. In November he was a First Division wagoner and was back with the Brigade supply train from December of 1863 until he was mustered out of service on June 20, 1864.

After his discharge Charles returned to Grand Rapids where he lived out the remainder of his life, working as a bridge tender for some years as well as a laborer and lumberman. In 1865-69 he was working as a laborer and living at 8 Broadway Street on the west side, living with his wife in Grand Rapids’ Seventh Ward on Broadway and working as a laborer in 1880, in Grand Rapids in 1888 and in the Seventh Ward in 1890 and 1894. He was living at 16 Broadway when he testified in the pension application of Ellen Brown, Henry Brown’s dependent mother in 1894. (it is quite likely that Charles lived at his home on Broadway all his life.)

He was a member of Grand Army of the Republic Champlin Post No. 29 in Grand Rapids and possibly the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association as well. In 1887 he applied for and received a pension (no. 386884).

He was known as the “city cannoneer”. According to his obituary, “the old cannon now owned by the city was in Mr. Ellet's care and on 4ths of July and similar occasions it was invariably he who fired the gun.”

Charles died of old age and “La Grippe” (influenza) on February 3, 1900, at his home at 16 Broadway Street in Grand Rapids, and the funeral was held at the house at 2:00 Monday afternoon and was conducted by Rev. I. Davis of the First Presbyterian Church. He was buried in Greenwood cemetery: section F lot no. 57.

His widow applied for and received a pension (no. 497809).

Patrick H. Doran

Patrick H. Doran was born 1840 in Ireland, probably the son of Patrick and Ann (Pierce).

Patrick’s family immigrated to the United States and by 1860 he and his older brother Thomas were working as moulders and boarding at John Grady’s in Grand Rapids, Michigan -- and/or residing in the household of one Michael Hughes, a machinist. Patrick may have been a member of St. Andrews Catholic Church in Grand Rapids.

Patrick was 21 years old when he enlisted in Company F on May 13, 1861.

He married Joanna O’Brien (1840-1904) on June 7, 1861, in Grand Rapids, just one week before the Regiment left Grand Rapids for Washington.

On August 29, 1862, at Second Bull Run, wrote Dan Crotty of Company F after the war “Pat Doran, my left hand man, [was] wounded in four different places, but [kept] his place in the line.” Patrick’s wounds were not serious, however, and although he may have been temporarily hospitalized, he soon returned to the Regiment.

Patrick was reportedly killed in action on May 3, 1863 at Chancellorsville, Virginia. Dan Crotty described his last moments: “Once in a while one of our poor fellows is taken to the rear mortally wounded. It is here that a comrade of mine, P. H. Doran, and a better soldier never carried a musket than he. While lying down, a bullet from a sharpshooter did the deed, and passed through his head. Poor fellow, he has fought his last battle, and his campaigns are ended. Let him be inscribed on the roll of honor as a martyr to his adopted County.” He was presumably among the unknown soldiers buried at Chancellorsville.

In 1863 his widow applied for and received a pension (no. 21891), drawing $8.00 per month by 1883. She and was living in Grand Rapids in 1883, and in 1889-90 and is buried in St. Andrews cemetery in Grand Rapids.

James Culhan

James Culhan, also known as “Cullen”, was born around 1843, probably in Ireland.

James was 18 years old when he enlisted in the Regimental Band on June 10, 1861.

He was discharged at Detroit on June 13, 1861, on a writ of habeas corpus, reason unknown, but possibly as a consequence of being a minor who had enlisted with the consent of a parent or guardian (or Justice of the Peace).

James' Third Michigan service record notes that he did subsequently serve in the Band of the First Michigan Cavalry, and in fact, he did reenter the service in the Band, First Michigan cavalry on September 23, 1861, while it was being organized at Detroit, giving his age as 29 (!). The regiment left Michigan for Washington on September 29 and was subsequently attached to the Cavalry Brigade, Army of the Potomac to December of 1861. James was honorably discharged on September 4, 1862 at Ball’s Crossroads, Virginia (presumably subsequent to the elimination of the Regimental bands in the Army of the Potomac).

James eventually returned to Michigan after he left the army, and eventually settled in Detroit.

He was married to Michigan native Mary E. (b. 1845), and they had at least one child: Margaret (b. 1880). Mary had been married before to one Mr. Edwards and had four children from her previous marriage: Mary (b. 1864), Annie (b. 1868), John (b. 1871) and Lottie (b. 1874).

By 1880 James was working as a musician and living with his wife and stepchildren on Abbott Street in Detroit.

James was probably the same James Culhan who was a civil war veteran residing in Detroit’s Eighth ward in 1894.

James probably died before 1901, possibly in Michigan. It is reported that one James Culhan, who served in Unassigned, Third Michigan infantry during the war, was buried in Elmwood cemetery, Detroit.

In any case, his widow was living in Michigan in 1901 when she applied for and received a pension (no. 513,551).

Daniel G. Crotty

Daniel G. Crotty was born December 27, 1840 or 1841 in County Clare, Ireland, the son of Michael and Jane or June (Tracy).

Daniel left Ireland and came to America, probably settling in Kent County, Michigan by the time the war broke out.

Daniel stood 5’6” with blue eyes, black hair and a light complexion, and was a 20-year-old shoemaker possibly living in Lowell, Kent County in April of 1861 when he enlisted in Company F on May 13, 1861. He received the Kearny Cross for his participation in the battle of Chancellorsville, Virginia, on May 3, 1863. The Cross, one report said,

is a bronze medal in the shape of a Maltese cross, bearing engraved on its face the words ‘Kearny Cross, and on its reverse side ‘Birney's Division. The medal was one of the very first issued by the government during the war. It was presented to Serg’t. Crotty in 1863, shortly after the battle of Chancellorsville, and while he was on duty before Fredericksburg. Crotty had served under General Kearny up to the time that gallant soldier was killed on the picket line the night of September 1, 1862. Gen. D. B. Birney succeeded Gen. Kearny, and it was in the following year that Gen. Birney distributed among select men who had served under Kearny the famous Kearny medals. Thirty of these medals were given to each Regiment, three for each company. The task of designating the men who were to receive the medals was assigned to captains of the various companies. For his valorous record as a soldier Serg't. D. G. Crotty was selected as one of the three in his company to receive a Kearny Cross.

From that day to this he has treasured this medal as only a true soldier who fought under Phil Kearny can treasure such a badge of honor.

Serg’t Crotty was so near Gen. Kearny when the latter was shot to death that he saw in the dusk of the evening the flash of the rebel musket that sent the fatal bullet.

“We had been fighting that afternoon”, said Mr. Crotty today, “but a storm came up and stopped the battle. After the rain had stopped and just on the edge of night Gen. Kearny rode out along the picket line looking closely after his men, as was his invariable custom. In the dusk he failed to see the rebel pickets and was soon in their lines. They ordered him to surrender, but he wheeled his horse around, put spurs to him and darted for the Union lines, hoping to escape the fire he knew was sure to follow him. Kearny leaned forward in his saddle and as low as possible to escape the bullets. But the aim of the Johnnies was too true. One bullet struck him in the back, a mortal wound, and our gallant and loved commander had met the soldier's fate”. Mr. Crotty has had engraved on the vacant spaces on his Kearny Cross the names of the principal engagements in which he served.

According to Dr. James Grove, Surgeon of the Old Third, in August of 1863, while the Regiment was encamped at Sulphur Springs, near Warrenton, Virginia, Daniel reported sick. “He stated to me,” Dr. Grove said some years later, that he was suffering from hemorrhoids, which “were aggravated by the constipation.” Dr. Grove noted that Crotty “was acting Color Sergeant at the time and did not often appear at Surgeon’s call during my connection with the regiment.”

Daniel was a Corporal when he reenlisted on December 24, 1863, at Brandy Station, Virginia, crediting Bowne, Kent County, and was presumably absent on veteran’s furlough in January of 1864. He probably returned to the Regiment on or about the first of February.

Daniel claimed years later that he distinguished himself during the battle of the Wilderness in early May of 1864, and in 1900 he attempted to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor for his participation in that action. In March of 1900, according to one source, Michigan Congressman Bishop sent a letter to then Secretary of War Elihu Root, asking that a medal be awarded to Crotty. The Congressman attached affidavits from various officers who had served in the Old Third,

which make him one of the heroes of the Civil war. Chief among these is a letter of endorsement from Colonel M. B. Houghton, of [Tustin], Michigan, under whom Crotty, who is now a resident of Detroit, served. “Few men in America,” says Colonel Houghton, “can show as brilliant a record as can Lieutenant Crotty. I witnessed his conduct in many of the fiercest battles of the Civil war, in all of which he conducted himself with great gallantry.” Colonel Houghton relates that at the battle of the Wilderness the Third Michigan was in the Division led by General Hancock. They led the attack and drove the enemy back to reserves, where it became necessary to halt and reform broken lines. Houghton stood talking with General [then Colonel Byron R.] Pierce when Color Sergeant Crotty was seen carrying the flag forward into the very front of the enemy. “I wish you would stop Crotty”, cried General Pierce, “and bring back our colors.” Whereupon the commanding officer of the Regiment went forward and induced the courageous Crotty to get out from under fire and in line with his Regiment.

He never received the Medal of Honor.

Daniel was transferred as a Sergeant to Company F, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and was absent on furlough in November. He was commissioned a Second Lieutenant on May 8, 1865, replacing Lieutenant Ernest Synold of Company A, but he was never mustered as such. Sometime in the late spring the Fifth Michigan was sent to Jeffersonville, Indiana to be mustered out of service (with the regiment). On June 25, 1865 Daniel was admitted to Jefferson hospital in Jeffersonville, suffering from an ulcer on the right arm; he listed his nearest relative as a brother John who was living in Hainesville, Ontario. Daniel was mustered out as Sergeant on July 5, 1865 at Jeffersonville, Indiana.

After the war Daniel returned to Michigan and on September 25, 1865, married Michigan native Anne McMahon (1842-1929) at St. Andrews church in Grand Rapids. They had at least 9 children: Elizabeth (b. 1866), George (b. 1868), Daniel G. (b. 1869), Mary F. (b. 1872; Mrs. A. F. Kuney), Margaret A. (b. 1874), John D. (b. 1876), Arthur B. (b. 1878), Francis J “Frank” (b. 1881) and Charles H. (b. 1883).

In 1874 Daniel published the only known book on the history of the Third Michigan infantry Regiment, Four years Campaigning in the Army of the Potomac, which sold for $1.50 a copy and was printed in Grand Rapids by Dygert Bros. He spent much of the year traveling around the state selling copies of the book. As far as we know Daniel did not keep a journal or diary during the war and, sadly, the book appears to be based solely on Crotty’s vague recollections rather than any hard evidence. Nor did he base his observations on any other written work, such as diaries or journals of other soldiers. This lack of attention to specifics, combined with a flowery style of prose makes the work greatly suspect as to its veracity. Of even greater curiosity is that even though Daniel was a member of the postwar Old Third Association and attended many of its reunions, he was never called upon to provide any of the historical details at any of the annual meetings. Rather, it was left to Allan Shattuck, formerly of Company G, who was in fact the official Association regimental historian and who gave all of the historical speeches.

By 1868 Daniel was working as a shoemaker in Pontiac, Oakland County, and in 1870 he was working as a shoemaker and living with his wife and three children in Southfield, Oakland County. (Also living with Daniel was Irish-born Ann Crotty, age 70.) He may have possibly lived for a time in Grand Rapids and Effingham, Illinois briefly, but eventually settled in Muskegon, Muskegon County where he worked as a shoemaker for many years. By 1871 he was engaged in a boot-and-shoe shop on Pine Street in Muskegon, and was constable in 1879, the same year the Grand Army of the Republic Kearny post number 7 was organized in Muskegon and he became a charter member (he transferred to the Grand Army of the Republic Fairbanks Post No. 17 in Detroit in 1897). In 1880 he was working as deputy sheriff and living with his wife in Muskegon. He was appointed Assistant Sergeant-at-Arms of the Michigan House of Representatives in Lansing in January of 1881.

Daniel also worked for some ten years for the Muskegon Milling Company as a traveling salesman. On February 19, 1887, while traveling in northern Michigan, Crotty was injured in a railroad accident and hospitalized in Reed City. Fred Worden, also formerly of Company F and living in Reed City at the time, wrote a letter-at-large, published in the Democrat on February 22, 1887 to his comrades describing Crotty’s recent accident and subsequent difficulties. According to Worden, Crotty was “in poor health in consequence, struggling for a living for himself and family, while on a business trip for a firm in Muskegon, going to Luther on the G. R. & I. [railroad], on the 19th inst., met with a serious injury, and is now lying in the hospital in Reed City, the train running off the track and tipping over, dislocating his shoulder and shattering the edges of the socket, and other injuries, which will take a long time to get over, if not lasting through life.”

Daniel was still living in Muskegon in 1888, 1890, and in 1892 he was a salesman for a wholesale clothing operation out of New York City.

In 1896 Daniel moved to Detroit where he became an instructor in the public schools, and where he spent his remaining years. In 1907, 1912 and 1915 he was residing at 163 Harrison Avenue. By 1920 Daniel was living in Detroit along with his wife Anne, two daughters, his son George and a grand-daughter and five boarders. Sometime in 1921 Daniel suffered a stroke and as a result was partially paralyzed and reported to be “in such a helpless condition that he needs the constant care of another person.”

Daniel was a Catholic, member of Old Third Michigan Infantry Association, and received pension no. 268,864 (June of 1888), and drawing $50.00 per month by 1921. He was also involved in forming the Muskegon County Veteran’s Association.

Daniel died of apoplexy at his residence 2835 Harrison Avenue in Detroit on December on 25, 1921, and the funeral was held at 8:30 on Wednesday at St. Vincent’s church. He was buried on December 28 in Mt. Olivet cemetery, Detroit.

In 1922 his widow applied for and received a pension (no. 917023).

Dennis Conway

Dennis Conway was born in 1830 in Ireland, the son of Margaret.

Dennis left Ireland, possibly along with his mother and by 1860 he was working as a laborer and living with the family of a blacksmith named Patrick Quinn (who had also emigrated from Ireland with his wife Ellen) in Brooks, Newaygo County, Michigan.

Dennis was 31 years old and possibly living in Newaygo County when he enlisted in Company H on May 13, 1861. (Company H, formerly the “Muskegon Rangers”, was made up largely of men from the vicinity of Muskegon and Newaygo counties.)

He was killed in action on August 29, 1862 at Second Bull Run, and presumably among the unknown soldiers whose remains were reinterred in Arlington National Cemetery.

In 1864 his mother applied for and received a pension (no. 79560).

Peter Canally

Peter Canally, also known as “Connelly”and “Conoly”, was born 1840 in Boston, Massachusetts or in Ireland.

Peter left Boston and moved west, eventually settling in central Michigan by the time the war broke out.

He stood 5’10” with blue eyes, dark hair and a light complexion, and was a 21-year-old farmer probably living in Meridian, Ingham County when he enlisted in Company G on May 10, 1861. (Company G, formerly the “Williams’ Rifles”, was made up predominantly of men from the Lansing area.)

On September 5, 1861, Peter was in the Regimental hospital sick with a fever, and less than a week later he was “been recommended to be discharged on account of tubercular disease, but his case is under advisement.” He remained with the Regiment, however, and was wounded severely in the left shoulder on May 31, 1862, at Fair Oaks, Virginia. Peter was helped off the battlefield and according to a statement he made later that year Regimental Surgeon Bliss “made an examination of the wound & probed it to find the bullet but that he could not find the ball, [and] that he was sent to hospital where he remained until he was furloughed”.

By June 18 he was reported to have gone home to Okemos, Ingham County, to recover from his wound, and according to one source he was among the sick and wounded soldiers who arrived at Detroit Barracks on July 9. In any case, he claimed that he remained at his home in Michigan until about the end of August when he went to Washington. From there he was sent to Fairfax Seminary Hospital where he was probably admitted on August.

Peter was discharged from Fairfax Seminary hospital on September 13, 1862, for a “gunshot wound through the left shoulder joint, resulting in anchylosis, and paralysis of the whole arm, is unable to raise the forearm without the assistance of the right hand.”

He reportedly died on September 21, 1862, of his wounds (probably at Union Hotel hospital in Washington, DC), and buried in Washington.

In fact Peter did not die of his wounds in September of 1862 and was alive and well by the summer of 1863, probably still living in Washington. In any event, he married Ireland native Sarah Ann Hunt (b. 1838), on July 19, 1863, at St. Matthew’s church in Washington, DC, and they had at least one child: John (b. 1875).

Peter was probably discharged on account of his disability (the record is uncertain on this however).

In any case, Peter eventually returned to his father’s home in Meridian, Ingham County, Michigan, presumably with his new wife, and by the fall of 1863 he was working in Meridian as a farmer. He was living in Ingham County in 1869.

By 1870 Peter was working as a conductor on a railroad and living with his wife Sarah in Lansing’s Fourth Ward, Ingham County. He was living in Ingham County in 1897 and in Lansing, Ingham County in 1898.

He was probably living in Ingham County when he applied for and received a pension (no. 23351), drawing $17 per month by 1897.

Peter died on November 11, 1911, in Longdale, Blaine County, Oklahoma.

His widow was living in Carlton, Blaine County, Oklahoma, in 1912 when she applied for a pension. She eventually moved to St. Paul in Alberta, Canada and by 1916 she was living in Lloydminister, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Thomas Byers

Thomas Byers, also known as “Boyers”, was born August 25, 1830, in Tyrone, Ireland.

Thomas left Ireland and immigrated first to Canada. He subsequently moved from Waterdown, Ontario, Canada with the family of James Rice and settled in Croton, Newaygo County, Michigan. By 1860 he had “settled on swamp land” in Leonard, Mecosta County. He claimed many years after the war that he had been orphaned as a very young child and raised by an older sister.

Thomas stood 5’0” tall with gray eyes, dark hair and a dark complexion and was unable to read or write (at least in 1860) and was 31 years old and living in Newaygo County when he enlisted in Company H on April 27, g1861. (Company H, formerly the “Muskegon Rangers”, was made up largely of men from the vicinity of Muskegon and Newaygo counties.) Although he “was too short,” wrote the Muskegon Chronicle many years later, “for the required height, [he] was determined to enlist and go with the rest of the boys [from Croton]. He stood on tiptoe inside of his boots [and] they finally accepted him.”

Nor apparently did Thomas lack spirit. At the thirty-second annual reunion of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association in 1903, it was reported that during the war “Tommy was the midget of the Regiment. He is five feet tall and weighs 70 pounds. In spite of this handicap at the battle of Fair Oaks he captured a rebel 6 feet tall and weighing 200 pounds. Tommy marched him into camp and presented him with his compliments to the commanding officer.”

This story was apparently well-known throughout the Regiment. Wallace Dickinson, a member of Company K, wrote that during the battle at Fair Oaks, Virginia, on May 31, 1862, “Tommy Byers,” whom Dickinson described as “a witty Irishman” noticed “a large secesher trying to secret himself in the brush. Tommy went up to him and informed him that his assistance was needed to carry off a wounded captain. He good naturedly complied, and took the captain on his back and carried him to the rear.”

Thomas was absent sick suffering from inflammation of the eyes and treated on board a hospital steamer near Harrison’s Landing in mid-August of 1862. He was subsequently admitted to the army hospital in York, Pennsylvania and returned to duty on September 2. He was again absent sick from April of 1863 through July, and was treated at the regimental hospital around May 1, sent on to the Convalescent Camp, near Alexandria, Virginia, where he remained until he was returned to duty in mid-November. Soon after he returned to the regiment, however, he suffered from a bout of intermittent fever in late November and was sent to the Third Brigade, hospital, First Division, Third Corps, on or about November 24.

Tommy had returned to duty by the time he reenlisted as a Musician on December 23, 1863, at Brandy Station, Virginia, crediting Muskegon, Muskegon County. He was presumably absent on veteran’s furlough in January of 1864 and probably rejoined the Regiment on or about the first of February. He was transferred to Company A, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and on June 22, 1865, was admitted to Jefferson hospital in Jeffersonville, Indiana, suffering from pleurisy. He was mustered out of service on July 5, 1865 at Jeffersonville. The Muskegon Chronicle of March 28, 1912, wrote that there “There was no better soldier than Tommy.”

After the war Thomas returned to western Michigan and was working as a "cooker" for Nelson Higbee, a wealthy lumberman, in Croton, Newaygo County. In 1865 he noted his marital status as ‘single”, listing his nearest relative as a friend by the name of George Baggard.

Thomas was probably living in Mecosta County when he married Phebe or Phoeba Douglas (b. 1854) on December 6, 1870, at Higbee’s farm in Mecosta County. They had at least seven children: William “Willie” (b. 1875), John (b. 1877), Albert (b. 1879), Emma Jane (b. 1882), Bertha May (b. 1886), Etta Matilda (b. 1892) and Helen or Ellen (b. 1894).

By 1880 Tommy was working as a farmer and living with his wife and children in Aetna, Mecosta County and then in Morley, Mecosta County where he probably lived for many years, moving to Howard City, Mecosta County sometime between 1903 and his death in 1912. It is possible that in 1890 Tommy was working as a laborer in Saginaw, Saginaw County and boarding at the Rellis House.

Thomas was a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association, and in 1888 he applied for and received a pension (no. 529964), drawing at the rate of $15.00 per month when he died.
The Muskegon Chronicle of March 28, 1912 wrote that “at one time Dr. Brown of Morley tried to get him an increase of pension, but was rejected. The doctor then took off his attire and sent his photo to Washington. Then he received an increase to $15.00, which was all. He was ill and blind about two years, but the government gave him no more. The writer visited him last January and it seemed a shame for a man who had served his country for four years as faithfully as did Tommy to be allowed but $15.00 a month.”

Thomas died a widower in Howard City on March 28, 1912, and was buried in Morley cemetery alongside his wife, who, it was noted, had "died some years ago.”