Newaygo

Leander Wood - update 9/11/2016

Leander Wood was born on June 3, 1846, in Ohio or Michigan.

Leander stood 5’8” with gray eyes, dark hair and a dark complexion and was a 17-year-old farmer possibly living in Muskegon, Muskegon County when he enlisted in Company E on February 4, 1864, at Grand Rapids for 3 years, crediting Muskegon, and was mustered the same day.

Leander joined the Regiment on February 10, was absent sick probably from April 24 and still absent sick when he was transferred to Company E, 5th Michigan Infantry upon consolidation of the 3rd and 5th Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864. He remained listed as absent sick through May of 1865, but probably until he was discharged on June 26, 1865, from Mower hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

He may have been married to Michigan native Mary (b. 1853).

By 1880 Leander was working as a laborer and living with his wife Mary in Muskegon’s 1st Ward. He was still living in Muskegon in 1888 and in July of 1890 when he applied for and received a pension (no. 573363).

Leander was reported as single and working as a pig buyer when he died of consumption on December 14, 1893, in White Cloud, Muskegon (Newaygo) County, and was presumably buried in White Cloud (although this cannot be confirmed).

Shinar Preston - updated 12 Aug 2016

Shinar Preston was born on August 15, 1839, in Ohio, the son of William (b. 1803) and Margaret (Barnhard, b. 1818).

Vermont-born William married Ohioan Margaret probably in Ohio sometime before 1837, by which time they were living in Ohio. By 1840 William was living in Harris, Ottawa County, Ohio, and by 1850 Shiner or Shinar was attending school with his siblings and living on the family farm in Harris, Ottawa County, Ohio. About this same time William died and Margaret brought the family to western Michigan. For a time they lived in Big Prairie and Croton, Newaygo County, after which they settled in Dayton, Newaygo County. Shinar bought 120 acres of land about five of which were improved. He settled on the land right away.

In 1860 Sinar as working as a farm laborer and living with his mother and siblings in Dayton, Newaygo County. Two houses away lived John Barnhard, one of the two Barnhard brothers who would join the Third Michigan, and next door to John lived his father or grandfather Simon Barnhard.

Shinar stood 5’8” with dark eyes, black hair and a dark complexion and was a 22-year-old farmer living in Dayton when he enlisted in Company K on March 2 or 12, 1862, at Grand Rapids for 3 years, and was mustered March 2 or 12. He was sick in the hospital in March of 1862, allegedly deserted on September 21 at Upton’s Hill, Virginia, and returned to the Regiment on June 23, 1863, at Gum Springs, Virginia. He was serving with the provost guard at First Division headquarters from December 29, 1863, through March of 1864, and was reportedly on detached service in May, although he was probably taken sick or perhaps wounded on May 6.

Shinar was still absent sick when he was transferred to Company F, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and he remained absent sick until he was transferred to Company B, Nineteenth Regiment Veterans’ Reserve Corps, on August 9, 1864. It is quite possible that Shinar was a guard at the confederate prison at Elmira, New York, where he was mustered out on March 12, 1865.

After his discharge Shinar returned to his mother’s home in Newaygo County, and in fact he lived the rest of his life in Newaygo County.

He married New York native Eugenia Dickinson (1846-1914) on March 17, 1872, in Dayton, and they had at least 10 children: Reno S. (b. 1866), Nellie L. (b. 1868), Lester P. (b. 1871), Nettie E. (b. 1872), Kearney N. (b. 1874), Mary or Marie O. (b. 1877), Frank C. (b. 1879) William F.; and two children died in infancy.

After Eugenia died in 1914, Shinar married his sister-in-law (Eugenia’s sister) Mrs. Hannah Brooks (1852- 1929) in 1915.

After he returned home from the war Shinar added to his land holdings and by the early 1880s had accumulated about 360 acres, 200 of which were under cultivation. He held the offices of Highway Commission Inspector and Justice of the Peace.

He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic Henry Dobson post no. 182 in Fremont, as well as the Fremont Grange No. 49, and a Republican.

By 1880 he was working as a farmer and living in Dayton, Newaygo County, with his wife and children; next door lived one L. R. Preston, possibly a brother. He was in Fremont, Newaygo County in 1888 and in Dayton in 1890 and 1894. And by 1920 he was living with his seocnd wife Hannah in Fremont; and they were still living in Fremont in 1930.

He was living in Michigan in May of 1890 when he applied for and received a pension (no. 851385).

Shinar was a widower when he died of “senility” on November 11, 1932 at his home at 124 Elm Street in Fremont and was buried in Maple Grove cemetery, Fremont: block 4-414.



William H. Paradise - updated 12 Aug 2016

William H. Paradise was born on September 1, 1842, in Allegan, Allegan County, Michigan.

His family eventually moved north from Allegan County and had settled in the vicinity of Fremont, Newaygo County, by 1855 when William was enrolled in the school at Elm Corners (present-day Fremont).

William stood 5’9” with black eyes, dark hair and a fair complexion and was 18 years old and probably working as a laborer and still living in Newaygo County when he enlisted with the consent of the Justice of the Peace in Company H on May 6, 1861. (Company H, formerly the “Muskegon Rangers,” was made up largely of men from the vicinity of Muskegon and Newaygo counties.)

He was reported as a pioneer (probably for the Brigade) from July of 1862 through October. William reenlisted on December 24, 1863, at Brandy Station, Virginia, crediting Muskegon, Muskegon County, was presumably absent on veteran’s furlough, probably in Michigan, in January of 1864, and he probably returned to the Regiment on or about the first of February. He was a Brigade pioneer in April of 1864, probably hospitalized in May and was still absent sick when he was transferred to Company A, Fifth Michigan infantry as a Corporal upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864. He was reported absent sick through at least July of 1864, and was mustered out on July 5, 1865, at Jeffersonville, Indiana.

Following his release from the army William returned to Newaygo County.

He married Canadian-born (probably Quebec) Calista A. (1844-1886), and they had at least three children: Alphonse (b. 1866), Nellie (b. 1868), Willie, “our pet” (d. 1875), Sarah A. (1872-73) and Alice E. (1870-71).

By 1870 he was working as a farmer and living with his wife and children in Fremont Center, Sheridan Township, Newaygo County; he resided in Sheridan the rest of his life.

In 1871 he applied for and received pension no. 115212.

William died July 10, 1875, in Fremont, and was buried in Maple Grove cemetery, Fremont: 4-223.

In September of 1875 Calista applied for and received a pension no 172,946. By 1880 she was living in Fremont, Sheridan Township; also living with her were her two children, Alphonse and Nellie. She was still living in Fremont in 1883.


William P. McErwan - updated 12 Aug 2016

William P. McErwan, also known as “McEwan,” born December 26, 1844, in Little Falls, Herkimer County, New York, probably the son of John (b. 1795) and Sarah (b. 1819).

John was born in Scotland and immigrated to the United States where he married New York native Sarah sometime before 1834, probably in New York. They resided in New York for many years and by 1850 William was attending school with six of his older siblings and living with his family on a farm in Salisbury, Herkimer County. Sometime after 1851 his family left New York and settled in Michigan. By 1850 William was attending school with four of his siblings and living with his mother who was farming in Walker, Kent County.

He stood 5’9” with blue eyes, brown hair and a light complexion and was a 19-year-old farmer still living in Walker when he enlisted in Company K on February 9, 1864, at Grand Rapids for 3 years, crediting Muskegon, Muskegon County (listing his residence as Walker), and was mustered the same day. He joined the Regiment on March 1 at Camp Bullock, Virginia, was wounded on May 12, 1864, at Spotsylvania, Virginia, and subsequently hospitalized, possibly in Alexandria, Virginia. He was still absent in the hospital when he was transferred to Company F, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and he remained absent until he was discharged on June 28, 1865, at Sickles hospital in Alexandria.

After the war William returned to western Michigan. He was married to Canadian-born Celia (b. 1846) and they had at least two children: Gerrude (b. 1867) and Maggie (b. 1869).

By 1870 William was working as a farmer and with his wife and two daughters in Wyoming, Kent County (Sarah was living just a few houses away). By 1880 he had moved to Dayton, Newaygo County and was living in Fremont, Newaygo County in 1890 and 1900. Indeed he spent the remainder of his life in Fremont.

In 1886 he applied for and received a pension (no. 693075). He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic Dobson Post No. 182 in Fremont.

William died of nephritis in Fremont on December 25, 1915, and was buried in Maple Grove cemetery in Fremont: block 3-76.

In January of 1916 his widow was living in Michigan when she applied for and received a pension (no. 874120).


Conrad Kritzer - updated 12 Aug 2016

Conrad Kritzer or Kreutzer was born on January 26, 1840, in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Moll).

Conrad came to the United States in 1855, quite possibly by himself, and worked for a while on a farm in Lisbon, Chester Township, Ottawa County. In 1857 he went to Illinois where he remained only a few months before returning to Michigan. In any case, by 1860 he apparently worked for and lived with the family of Anton Cline in Chester.

Conrad stood 5’5” with blue eyes, dark hair and a dark complexion and was 21 years old and probably working as a farm laborer in Chester when he enlisted in Company C on May 13, 1861. He was taken prisoner on July 1, 1862, at Malvern Hill, Virginia, and in early July was reported sick in a rebel hospital along the York River. He was soon released on parole, and on the afternoon of July 11 arrived at Old Point, Virginia, near Fortress Monroe, on the John Tucker. Conrad returned to the Regiment December 20 at Camp Pitcher, Virginia, and was wounded slightly “in the body” on May 3, 1863, by a fall from some breastworks at Chancellorsville, Virginia, and was hospitalized in June and July of 1863. He was transferred to the Veterans’ Reserve Corps on July 3, 1863, where he remained until April of 1864.

Conrad was eventually discharged from the VRC and by 1865 had settled on 80 acres of land, presumably in Newaygo County. He soon moved to Grant, Newaygo County, and then on to Ashland, Newaygo County where he was living when he married Hesse-Darmstadt native Elizabeth Schafer (1846-1909) on June 4, 1868, at the Lutheran German church in Grand Rapids. They had at least six children: John (b. 1870), Charles H. (b. 1873), Henry S. (b. 1875), Mary Elizabeth (b. 1878) and “Maggie” (1879-1887).

By 1870 Conrad was working as a farmer (how owned some $1000 worth of real estate) and living with his wife and daughter Matilda in Ashland. By 1880 Conrad was working as a farmer and living in Ashland with his wife and children. Indeed, Conrad probably lived in Ashland the rest of his life. He was living in Ashland in 1890.

He became a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association in September of 1885, and both he and his wife were members of P of H. Lodge No. 545 in Ashland. Conrad himself was a member of Lodge No. 331 I.O.O.F. at Ashland; he was also a Republican.

In 1880 he applied for and received a pension (no. 231179).

Conrad died a widower in Grant, Newaygo County, on March 22, 1916, and was buried in Ashland cemetery: section A, grave no. 64.



John Barnhard - updated 12 Aug 2016

John Barnhard was born November 18, 1836, in Sandusky, Ohio, the son of Jacob (b. 1809) and Sarah (Hyland, d. 1836).

After the death of his first wife, Ohio native Jacob married Ohio-born Lucinda or Lorinda Reed (b. 1820) in 1840, probably in Ohio. By the late 1840s John’s family had moved from Ohio to Chicago where they were residing between 1847 and 1848, but within two years had moved across Lake Michigan to Muskegon, Muskegon County, Michigan. According to one source, after living in Muskegon for about a year, local “Indians poled them up the Muskegon River in two canoes to Croton and while there Indian boys were his playmates and companions.” (It is possible that only John and his older brother Horatio made this emigration westward in the late 1840s followed in the mid-1850s by their parents and the rest of the family.) By 1855 the family had moved to Dayton, Newaygo County, reportedly building the first house in the Township.

In 1857 John assisted his father, brother and two uncles in cutting a road from Croton to the family farm. In the fall of 1858 John purchased from the government 80 acres in Dayton on which he built a cabin.

In 1860 John was elected Dayton Township clerk and that same year he was working as a laborer and living in Dayton, when he married his first wife, Connecticut native Maryette or Margaret Stone (1843-1884), on November 25, 1860. (She may have been a sister to Phoebe Stone who married John’s brother Horatio in 1859.) They had at least two children: Gilbert A. (b. 1868) and Herbert A. “Together,” wrote one source, “they toiled as only those pioneers did toil to build the homes that stand as monuments today to their greatness.”

John stood 5’8” with blue eyes, dark hair and a dark complexion and was 25 years old and probably still living in Dayton when he enlisted with his older brother Horatio in Company H on March 12, 1862 at Grand Rapids for 3 years, and he was mustered the same day in Grand Rapids -- their younger half-brother Simon would enlist in Company K in August. (Company H, formerly the “Muskegon Rangers”, was made up largely of men from the vicinity of Muskegon and Newaygo counties.)

In July of 1862 John was sick in the hospital through August, and allegedly deserted on September 21, 1862 at Upton’s Hill, Virginia (he was probably still hospitalized). In any case, he returned to the Regiment probably on October 26, 1862 at Catlett’s Station, Virginia.

John was shot in the right forearm at Spotsylvania, Virginia on May 12, 1864, and subsequently hospitalized. He was transferred to Company A, Fifth Michigan Infantry, upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and was reported absent sick. In July he was listed as a Corporal although he still remained absent wounded. Although he was reported in January of 1865 as having died, in fact he remained hospitalized until he was discharged on account of his wounds on December 24, 1864 (or February 26, 1865), at Augur general hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

After his discharge from the army John returned to his family in Michigan and by 1870 he was working as a farmer (he owned some $4500 worth of real estate) and living with his wife and one child in Hesperia, Newaygo County. By 1880 John was working as a farmer and living with his his wife and one son in Dayton, Newaygo County.

He was living in the Fremont area in 1883 drawing $8.00 per month for a wound to the right arm (pension no. 27,554, dated February 1865), and again in 1888; he was living in Dayton, Newaygo County in 1890 and 1894.

After his wife died in 1884 John married May Thompson on May 4, 1886, and they had at least two children: Ernest and Horatio (the latter probably named after John’s brother who died during the war). They were living in Hesperia, Oceana County in 1890, but by 1911 he had returned to Fremont.

He was for many years a director in the Grangers’ Mutual Insurance Co., a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association, as well as a member of Grand Army of the Republic Henry Dobson Post No. 182 in Fremont and a charter member of Hesperia Grange P. of H. no. 495.

According to one source, John “was a member of the Trustee Board of the local M.E. Church, a regular attendant of the Sunday School and preaching service and always manifested great interest in the church and welfare of the community.”

John died of myocarditis on Wednesday November 27, 1915, in possibly in either Hesperia or Dayton Township, and was buried in Maple Grove cemetery in Fremont: block B-38. “The love and respect,” wrote the Fremont Times-Indicator,

in which he was held by his neighbors and coworkers was manifested by their presence in large numbers at his funeral which was held in the little church he so much loved. The casket was covered with beautiful flowers and draped with the flag of his country. Rev. M. A. Oldt and Rev. George van Wingerden spoke words of consolation to the bereaved and the choir sang his favorite hymns. As the shades of evening were falling he was laid to rest in the cemetery at Fremont. In the passing of John Barnhard this community has sustained a loss that will long be felt. A pioneer who has lived on the farm he hewed out of the wilderness over 60 years [ago], whose life was truly crowned with success. We shall miss his cheerful presence, his wise councils, but the influence of his life will be an inspiration to those who follow after and his good works will long remain.

In 1915 his widow applied for and received a pension (no. 803308).