Oakwood cemetery Lowell

Oscar Azar Robinson

Oscar Azar Robinson was born on August 23, 1828, in Batavia, Genesee County, New York, possibly the son of Lewis (b. 1794).

Massachusetts native Lewis lived for a time in New York before eventually settling in western Michigan. In any case, Oscar (also known as “Azar”) left New York, possibly with his family, and also settled in western Michigan.

He was married to Michigan-born Lucinda Ramsdell (1838-1916), and they had at least four children: Frank (b. 1857), Lizzie (b. 1859), Mrs. Carrie Shaw (b. 1863) and Bertha (b. 1869).

By 1860 Oscar was working as a harness-maker and living with his wife and two daughters in Lowell, Kent County.

Oscar stood 5’8” with black eyes, dark hair and a dark complexion and was a 32-year-old saddler living in Lowell, Kent County when he enlisted as a Musician in Company D on May 13, 1861. (Company D was composed in large part of men who came from western Ionia County and Eaton County.) He was discharged for consumption on July 29, 1861, at Hunter’s Farm, Virginia.

He returned to Lowell where he reentered the service as a Drummer in Company B, Third Michigan Reorganized infantry, on August 31, 1864, for 3 years, crediting Lowell, and was mustered on September 1 at Grand Rapids. Oscar was promoted to Principal Musician on October 15, and participated in the battle of Nashville, Tennessee December 15-16, 1864. He had been promoted to Drum Major by the time he went home on sick leave about June 18, 1865, and he remained on furlough until July 20, 1865, when he was admitted to Harper hospital in Detroit, where he was discharged on August 30, 1865, presumably for disability.

After the war Oscar returned to Lowell where he probably lived the rest of his life, working for many years as a harness-maker. (He was living in Lowell in 1888, 1890 and 1894.)

He and his wife were keeping a boarding house in Lowell in 1870, and by 1880 he was back working as a harness-maker and living with his wife and children in Lowell; his son Frank was also working as a harness-maker. Living with them was Lucinda’s mother Eliza Ramsdell. Oscar was living in Lowell in 1884 when he attended the Sixth Annual Reunion of the Soldiers and Sailors, at Battle Creek, Calhoun County. He was living in Lowell in 1888, 1890 and 1894.

He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic Wilson Post No. 87 in Lowell, and in 1885 he applied for and received a pension (no. 357128).

Oscar died of “chronic bladder trouble” at his home in Lowell on Saturday morning February 3, 1899, and the funeral was held at the residence at 3:00 p.m. on Sunday afternoon. He was buried in Oakwood cemetery, Lowell.

That same year his widow applied for and received a pension (no. 478336).

Robert H. Peck

Robert H. Peck was born on September 24, 1844, in Wayne County, New York, the son of Dr. Arvine (1819-1881) and Betsey Jane (Loucks)

Robert’s parents were married in February of 1842 in Victory, New York. His father practiced medicine in Clyde, Wayne County, New York from about 1847 until 1854 at which time he moved his family to Lowell, Kent County, Michigan, becoming one of the first settlers of that place. According to one source:

one of the earliest settlers in Lowell, Kent County, and now a prominent physician in that town, was born in Butler, Wayne County, New York, December 15, 1819. The first of the Peck family in this country emigrated from Wales about the middle of the last century. Dr. Arvine Peck's father, Horace Peck, was a native of Connecticut, and his mother, Anna (Burch) Peck, was born in New York State. His early educational advantages were confined to what could be obtained by attending the common schools, in the intervals of work on his father's farm. At the age of seventeen he entered Victory Academy, where he remained one year. The next three years he spent at Red Creek Academy, paying his expenses by teaching school. After leaving Red Creek, he spent some time in the study of dentistry; and, at last, was enabled to carry out his long-cherished resolution of preparing himself for the medical profession. He first pursued his medical studies under the tuition of Dr. Robert Treat Payne, and afterwards with Dr. A. T. Hendricks, under whose instruction he remained until his graduation. He attended a course of Jectures at Geneva, New York; and, subsequently, at the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, from which he graduated in 1846 with the highest honors. Dr. Peck has not confined himself, however, to the eclectic school of medicine. Being an ardent devotee of his profession, he has studied earnestly to familiarize himself with every known method of treatment, and few physicians have met with more unvarying success. He practiced first at Clyde, Wayne County, New York, where he remained seven years. In 1854 he went to Michigan, and settled at Lowell, which then consisted of four or five cabins in the woods. Since that time he has continued the practice of his profession in the same place. His business has increased rapidly with the growth of the country, and his name has been intimately identified with every enterprise which has brought Lowell to its present flourlshing condition. He served during the late war, with the rank of Captain, in the 2d Michigan Cavalry, at Madrid, Island No. 10, etc.; until, after eight months of service, his health failed, and he was obliged to return home. He was a Democrat until the Republican party was organized, to which he gave his support until 1875. He then identified himself with the National Greenback party, of which he is now an enthusiastic and intelligent member. He is outspoken in his convictions, and untiring in his advocacy of his political principles. He has been Supervisor of Lowell one year, and President of the village four years. He was married, February 19, 1842, at Victory, New York, to B. Jane Loucks. Their family consists of two sons and a daughter, only one of whom, a son, is unmarried. Dr. Peck is the oldest physician in Lowell, and commands the most extensive practice in that section of the country. His identification with the town since its infancy, and the skill and judgment which he combines with great ardor, have gained for him a high position in the community, as well as among the members of the medical profession. His face is well known, and his name almost a household word in the town of Lowell.

By 1860 Robert was a clerk and student living with his family in Lowell where his father worked as a physician and local businessman.

Robert stood 5’5” with blue eyes, light hair and a light complexion and was 16 years old and residing in Kent County, probably in Lowell, when he enlisted in Company D on May 13, 1861. (Company D was composed in large part of men who came from western Ionia County and Eaton County.)

Around the first of September, 1861, Robert was stricken with typhoid fever. On October 17, 1861, Captain Houghton of Company D wrote that Peck had “been sick the past six weeks with typhoid fever and now is troubled with a catarrh and has never been able to carry a musket.” He was discharged on November 9, 1861, at Fort Lyon, Virginia, according to the Regimental surgeon Dr. Zenas Bliss, for “general debility partially the result of typhoid fever, but has since been [un]able to perform the duties of a soldier in consequence of his delicate physical conformation.”

Following his discharge Robert returned to Lowell where he reentered the service in Company C, First Michigan Engineers and Mechanics on December 21, 1863, for 3 years, crediting Grand Rapids’ First Ward, and was mustered in on January 5, 1864, at Grand Rapids. (See George Post’s bio; he too had served in Company D, was from either Ionia County or Lowell and he also reentered the service in Company C First E & M at the very same time.)

Robert probably joined the regiment somewhere in the vicinity of Chattanooga, Tennesse where it was on engineering duty as well as at Bridgeport, Stevenson and on line of the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad, Nashville & Northwestern Railroad, Tennessee & Alabama Railroad and Memphis & Charleston Railroad building block houses, etc., till May, 1864. The Regiment was on duty on the Atlantic & Western Railroad building block houses, etc., till September when it was ordered to Atlanta, Ga., September 25. Old members were mustered out October 31, 1864. It remained on duty at Atlanta September 28 to November 15; and participated in the March to the sea destroying railroad track, bridges and repairing and making roads November 15-December 10; in the siege of Savannah December 10-21, in the Carolina Campaign January to April, 1865; in the advance on Raleigh April 10-14, and occupation of Raleigh April 14; in the surrender of Johnston and his army.

The regiment then marched to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Va., April 29-May 20, and was in the Grand Review on May 24. Ordered to Louisville, Ky., June 6; then to Nashville, Tenn. where it rmeained on duty until it was mustered out on September 22. The regiment was subsequently discharged at Jackson, Jackson County, Michigan on October 1.

Robert was mustered out as an Artificer, reportedly on July 5, 1865, at Jeffersonville, Indiana.

Robert again returned to Michigan and lived most of his postwar life in Lowell where he married Marion L. Baker on September 11, 1866. (His father was still living in Lowell and practicing medicine in 1870.)

Robert was a member of both the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association and of Grand Army of the Republic Wilson post no. 87 in Lowell.

In 1867 he applied for and received a pension (no. 750050).

He died on November 19, 1878, and was buried in Oakwood cemetery, Lowell: 0-29-5.

His widow applied for a pension (no. 790634) but the certificate was never granted. By 1880 his widow “Marion” was living with her father-in-law and his family in Lowell.

George Lafayette Carlisle - updated 1/28/2017

George Lafayette Carlisle was born on October 9 of 10, 1842, in East Aurora, Erie County, New York, the son of New York natives Hamilton Carlisle (1818-1859) and Phoebe Ann Wilcox (1821-1876).

Hamilton was living in Aurora, Erie County, New York in 1840. By 1850 they were living on a farm in Aurora where George attended school with his younger brother David (who would also enlist in the Old Third).

Hamilton left New York and moved westward with his family, including his brother Jacob and his family as well as their parents, settling in western Michigan, probably Ottawa County, in 1853 or 1854. Hamilton’s father Ebenezer died in Tallmadge, Ottawa County in 1858 and was buried in Berlin cemetery. The following year Hamilton was killed while felling a tree in Tallmadge. Phoebe died in Greenville, Montcalm County in 1876 and was buried in Greenville cemetery.

By 1860 George was a farm laborer working for and/or living with a farmer named Sylvester Combs and his family in Tallmadge, Ottawa County. (His younger brother, David, may have joined him sometime before the war broke out.)

George was 19 years old and living in Tallmadge when he enlisted in Company I on May 13, 1861; David Carlisle would join Company I in 1862. (Company I was made up largely of men from Ottawa County, particularly from the eastern side of the County.) George was a tentmate of Alexander Brennan (who was from Georgetown, Ottawa County). “I tent with two boys,” Alexander wrote to his parents on February 12, 1863, “in the company: George W. Adams is one and the other is George Carlisle. They are both good boys. I think they don’t snore much and Adams don’t snore at all; he has not snored once since we left Camp Mich [the previous year’s winter quarters].”

He was a Corporal in January of 1863 and detached in July to bring conscripts from Michigan to the Regiment in Virginia. He remained on recruiting service in Michigan through January 1864 and was listed as a Corporal as of November 7, 1863 in the roster for Camp Lee, in Grand Rapids, and in February he was stationed at the draft depot in Grand Rapids (Camp Lee). He soon returned to the Regiment in Virginia and was wounded by a gunshot to his left side and back of the head on May 5 or 6, 1864, at the battle of the Wilderness, Virginia. On May 11 he was admitted to Emory hospital in Washington with a diagnosis of “gunshot wound of back [with a minie] ball passing through muscles just over right scapula.” He was mustered out of service on June 20, 1864.

George eventually returned to western Michigan and settled back into Kent County. According to one source in the winter months George “went north to the lumbering area” of Michigan and “when the spring freshets came (known as a river-hog) he rode the logs downstream on the Flat River to the sawmills at Lowell.” It was also reported that his work “took him past a place called Fallasburg and the G. W. Rykert farm” where “he met a pert young school teacher named Helen Rykert.”

By 1871 George was living in Bowne, Kent County, and working as a farmer when he married Helen L. Rykert (1847-1922), who had been born in Ada, Kent County, on April 26, 1871, at Grand Rapids and they had at least seven children: Ada (b. 1872), Claude (b. 1875), George Frank (b. 1877), Arthur E. (b. 1879), Ray Alvin (b. 1883), Leon Clyde (b. 1885) and Lulu Mae Overbye (b. 1888).

Four years later he was quite possibly George Carlisle charged with grand larceny, but the “case nolle prosequied on payment of cash.”

“In the spring of 1872” George purchased and homesteaded 160 acres of land in Kalkaska County, one of the early pioneers of that County, although Helen apparently remained in Lowell, ands indeed, George commuted between his land in Kalkaska and his home in Lowell and between 1876 and 1877 they moved into their new home in Kalkaska. Although they may lived for a time in Howard City, George probably lived in Kalkaska for more than twenty years.

In any event, George and his family were living in Kalkaska in 1880 and in 1882 when he became a member of the Old 3rd Michigan Infantry Association, and in the following year when he was drawing $6.00 (pension no. 152,92

8) for a wounded left side, increased to $50.00 per month in 1923. He was a member of Grand Army of the Republic Baker Post No. 84 in Kalkaska, and of Grand Army of the Republic Watson Post No. 395 (member no. 393) in Grand Rapids until he was discharged from the Watson post on January 12, 1924.

George and Helen both were active in the Grange movement in Michigan, from the Boardman Valley Grange and County Grange to the State Grange where he reportedly served as “Gateman” from 1888-94 then as steward for another six years. George was also a Baptist.

In 1921 George and Helen closed their old farm in Kalkaska and went to live their daughter, Lula Mae Overbye at 736 Fulton southeast in Grand Rapids. Helen died in March of 1922 and the following year George was admitted as a widower to the Michigan Soldiers’ Home on August 1, 1923 (no. 7813).

George died of chronic myocarditis on September 26, 1924, at the Home and was his remains were taken to Lowell, Kent County, and interred alongside his wife in Oakwood cemetery.

Henry W. Booth

Henry W. Booth was born October 7, 1839, in Marion, Wayne County, New York, the son of William and Anna or Ann (Brown, b. 1804).

Sometime before 1854 Henry’s parents moved the family from New York, and headed west, eventually settling in western Michigan.

On October 6, 1854, when he was 14 years old, Henry arrived in Lowell, Kent County, Michigan, along with his brother, E. J. Booth (possibly John Booth), having traveled from Chicago, first across Lake Michigan. As Henry described it many years later, once they arrived in Michigan they then went “by rail to Kalamazoo, by stage to Grand Rapids, and from the latter place to Lowell by team with his brother, . . . who with Loren Chapin was running a general store in the west L of the Hooker house where the Ford hardware is now located.”

Henry further recalled “that 14 old fashioned thorough-brace stage coaches loaded inside and out left Kalamazoo for Grand Rapids that day, with 4 horses to each coach. The plank road between was half built and the balance of the road was mostly bad, in one section of 4 miles everybody walked.”

When asked about the businesses of Lowell at that time Henry replied there was

Toussaint Campau, familiarly known as ‘Two-Cent’ Campau who sold dry goods, groceries and notions in the “Checkered Front” located at about east end of the present auto body factory. William Cobmoosa, an Indian, had a little store just west of the Checkered Front, trading mostly with the Indians. About the place where Hoffman's boat landing is now, Orson Peck had a general store at the steamboat landing on Grand River. Where Geo. M. Winegar's residence stands was a small 1-story shoe shop run by Isaac White and father, father and grandfather of our Frank N. White. Where the Lowell State Bank is, Stephen Denny had a blacksmith shop. Moses Coates had another blacksmith shop a block east and a block north. Charles Smith had a wagon shop a block north of Main Street. Loren Chapin was running a grist mill in the upright portion of the present East side mill, afterwards conducted by Chapin, Booth and Talford. A sawmill stood where the Lowell Cutter factory is, run by water power and a Mr. Jackson, father of Albert, made a record cut of 250 feet of oak lumber in 1 day. A Mr. Wilcox had a hotel on the corner now occupied by the City Hall, but soon sold to Cook & McNair. Azra King had another hotel where the Reed block now stands. These were known as the American house and the Lowell hotel. On the west side were the Snell schoolhouse, a barn and the log school house. On the east side of the Flat River, near the present Oakwood cemetery, was the Ottawa Indian village of about 300 souls.

By 1860 Henry was still living in Lowell and working as a common laborer and/or living with his mother Ann (she was listed head of the household) in Lowell.

Henry stood 5’9” with gray eyes, black hair and dark complexion and was 21 years old and was working as a farmer and probably living in Lowell when he enlisted as a Drummer in Company D on May 13, 1861. (Company D was composed in large part of men who came from western Ionia County, and a few from the far eastern side of Kent County, and Eaton County.) It is quite possible that Henry, who had contracted measles and suffered from chronic diarrhea while the regiment was forming at Cantonment Anderson in Grand Rapids, and before the regiment left Grand Rapids on June 13, 1861, was left behind along with three dozen or so other troopers. He apparently recovered sufficiently and if he was left behind, soon rejoined the regiment at its first camp, near Chain Bridge along the Potomac at Georgetown Heights. Henry was treated at the regimental hospital at Chain Bridge for dysentery and the effects of measles.

But sometime in spring or early summer of 1862, while the regiment was on the march to Richmond, Henry contracted rheumatism reportedly from exposure. Shortly afterwards he was reported as a hospital attendant in July of 1862, but according to Henry he “was with the regimental hospital a large portion of the time.”

Henry reenlisted as a Musician on December 23, 1863, at Brandy Station, Virginia, crediting Lowell. He was absent on veterans’ furlough in January of 1864 and probably returned to the Regiment on or about the first of February. he was subsequently reported on detached service as a nurse in the Division hospital.

Henry was still on detached service as a nurse when he was transferred to Company A, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and he remained detached to the Division hospital through July of 1864. He was promoted to Hospital Steward on July 13, 1864, and on September 13 was transferred to the non-commissioned staff, and on furlough in January of 1865. He was mustered out on July 5, 1865, at Jeffersonville, Indiana.

After the war Henry returned to Lowell.

He married New York native Mary A. Grindell (1847-1904) on March 29, 1866, and they had at least eight children: William (b. 1867), Catherine (Underhill, 1868-1900), Capstrotia (b. 1869), Mrs. Worthy Willard, a boy who died in infancy, another son who died of diphtheria at the age of 5, and another son Charles W. (b. 1873-1905), Ada B. (b. 1879).

In 1870 Henry was living with his wife and two children and working as a farmer in Lowell, and for a time operated a planning mill. According to one report, he had been injured slightly three times during the war “only to get a crippled hand on a saw while running a planning mill for a few months after the war.” Henry also worked as a collecting agent.

He also continued to suffer from the effects of the chronic diarrhea he had contracted while in the army. he stated some years after the war that for several weeks in the summer of 1866 he was confined to his bed as a result of severe stomach problems, and the had been under the regular care of Drs Peck and McDaniel, apparently Lowell physicians. By 1880 Henry was working as a collecting agent and living with his wife and children Kittie L., Charles and Ada, in Lowell. By 1898 he was living in Fallassburg, Kent County, near Lowell.

Except for two years that he lived in Vergennes, Kent County, and his service in the military, Henry lived virtually all his life in Lowell.

Shortly after his wife died in 1904 Henry went to live with his daughter Worthy and her family who also lived in Lowell; he was still living in Lowell in 1914.

In 1889 Henry applied for and received a pension (no. 495218), drawing $30 per month by 1916; he was a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association, and Grand Army of the Republic Post No. 87 in Lowell.

One observer reported in October of 1916 that although he had recently turned 75 years old, Henry “is still quite active for a man of his years and is a familiar figure about town, cordially greeting his old friends daily. He has richly earned the peace and comfort of his journey to the setting sun. May his cup of joy be full and overflowing to the end.”

Henry was a widower when he died of “natural causes” at his home in Lowell on Sunday, December 3, 1916, and the funeral was held at the residence on December 6, under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity. The Lowell Ledger wrote that “Mr. Booth was a man of good mental attainments and business judgment and his advice was frequently sought by many of his friends and as freely given. While Mr. Booth had his faults, he was a faithful friend and a pleasant acquaintance; and all of those who have known him, except those who themselves are perfect, will remember him kindly.”

Henry was buried in Oakwood cemetery, Lowell.

Andrew and Martin Barber

Andrew Barber was born in 1840 in New York, the son of Robert (b. 1802) and Esther (b. 1808).

Robert was born in Ireland and Esther was born in Scotland. They eventually immigrated to the United States, and settled in New York state probably sometime in the late 1830s. By 1850 Andrew was living with Betsey Smith’s family in Verona, Oneida County, New York, just two houses from his parents. After spending some years in New York Robert moved his family westward and eventually moved to Michigan. By 1860 Andrew was working as a farm laborer and living with his family in Lowell, Kent County, Michigan. (Next door lived George C. Post who would also enlist in the Third Michigan.)

Andrew was 21 years old and living in Ionia County or in Lowell when he enlisted in Company D, on May 13, 1861; his brother Martin and another relative, Samuel Barber would also enlist in Company D . (Company D was composed in large part of men who came from western Ionia County and Eaton County.) Andrew was wounded in one of his legs on August 29, 1862, at Second Bull Run, and admitted to Armory Square hospital, Washington, DC on September 1.

Sometime during the month of September Andrew suffered the amputation of his wounded leg, and he was probably still at Armory Square hospital when he died of vulnus sclopeticum (wounds) on September 22, 1862. He was buried in the Military Asylum cemetery (Soldiers' Home National cemetery).

There appears to be no pension available.

In 1880 Robert and Esther were living in Lowell, Kent County, Michigan.

Martin Barber was born October 19, 1837, in Oneida County, New York.

His father Robert was born in Ireland and Esther was born in Scotland. They eventually immigrated to the United States, where they possibly met and married and settled in New York state probably sometime in the late 1830s. After spending some years in New York Robert moved his family westward and eventually moved to Michigan. By 1850 Martin was attending school and living with his family in Verona, Oneida County, New York. Robert eventually moved his family westward and settled in Lowell, Kent County, Michigan by 1860.

In any case Martin stood 5’8” with black eyes, dark hair and a dark complexion and was a 23-year-old farmer probably living in Ionia County when he enlisted in Company D on May 13, 1861, along with his brother Andrew and another possible relative Samuel Barber, who was also from Ionia County. (Company D was composed in large part of men who came from western Ionia County and Eaton County.)

Martin was admitted to the general hospital at Newport News, Virginia, near Fort Monroe, on May 17, 1862, suffering from general debility and was transferred on June 12, presumably back to his regiment.

He was sick in the hospital in July of 1862, but had rejoined the Regiment by August when he was wounded in the left leg on August 29, 1862, at Second Bull Run, and subsequently hospitalized at Emory general hospital in Washington, DC. He remained in the hospital until he was discharged for hemorrhoids at Camp Convalescent, near Alexandria, Virginia, on February 16, 1863.

After his discharge Martin returned to Michigan and settled in Lowell, Kent County.

He was married to Michigan native Martha E. Severy (1841-1907) on December 15, 1864, at Sturgis, St. Joseph County, and they had at least two children: Anna B. (1868-1891) and Louisa C. (b. 1877).

It is possible that they had a third daughter, Lulu, who was reportedly “seduced” at the age of 15 in 1888. On February 19, 1888, the Grand Rapids Democrat reported that one Sylvester Davis, was charged “with the seduction of a 15-year-old girl at Lowell, and who escaped from a deputy sheriff while hunting for bondsmen, has not yet been found and Deputy Sheriff Hill, whom he gave the slip, has offered $50 reward for his capture. His bonds are fixed in the sum of $1,000. The girl in the case is Lulu Barber, adopted daughter of M. C. Barber. The penalty under the new state law for his offense is 15 years in the penitentiary, as the girl is under 16, the legal age of consent.”

By 1880 Martin was working as a farmer and still living in Lowell, with his wife and two daughters. (In 1880 Robert and Esther were also living in Lowell, Kent County.) He was residing in Lowell in 1894 and indeed lived most of the his life in Lowell.

In 1880 Martin applied for and received pension no. 236,324, drawing $30 per month by June of 1905.

Martin was visiting or living in Detroit when he died of chronic bowel disease at about 10:00 a.m. on August 22, 1905, probably at 16 Hecla Avenue. His body was returned to Lowell where it was interred in Oakwood cemetery: old section no. 206; the headstone reads “Forever with the Lord”.

His widow was living in Detroit in September of 1905. She applied for and received a pension ( no. 599,657)