Wacousta cemetery Clinton county

Charles Benjamin Land - update 12/14/2016

Charles Benjamin Land was born on June 13, 1846, in Carbrooke, Norfolk, England, the son of Benjamin (1824-1898) and Charlotte (Sessoms, d. 1851).

Sometime after his wife died in 1851 in Carbrooke, England, Benjamin remarried to Mary (b. 1824), presumably in England where she too was born. In any case, the family immigrated to North America sometime between 1848 and 1854 when they were living in Canada. And between 1854 and 1859 the family moved to Michigan, and by 1860 Charles was living with his family and his father Benjamin was working as a mason in Dallas, Clinton County.

Charles stood 5’8” with blue eyes, light hair and a light complexion and was an 18-year-old farmer possibly living in Clinton County when he enlisted in Company E on January 5, 1864, at Corunna, Shiawassee County for 3 years, crediting Bailey, St. Clair County, and was mustered the same day. (Curiously, quite a large number of Clinton County men made up Company E.) He joined the Regiment on March 27 and at one point tented with Asa Daniels who was also from Clinton County. (In fact in 1872 Charles would provide an affidavit in the pension claim Asa’s family.)

Charles was wounded on May 12, 1864, at Spotsylvania, Virginia, and probably hospitalized soon afterwards. He was still absent wounded when he was transferred to Company F, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and he remained absent wounded through November of 1864. He eventually returned to the regiment, however. According to Asa Daniels, writing sometime in late December of 1864, “Charles Land is here to the regiment and well and tough.” He was mustered out on July 5, 1865, at Jeffersonville, Indiana.

After the war, Charles returned to Michigan, eventually settling in Clinton County. He was married to Michigan native Jennie Cornelia Case (1846-1911) on April 26, 1866, in Riley, Clinton County, and they had at least two children: Nettie (b. 1867) and Alfred (b. 1870).

By 1870 he was working as a farmer and living with his wife and children in Riley. (His father was living in Almer, Tuscola County in 1870.) By 1880 he was working as a farmer and still living in Riley with his wife and children. In fact he lived in Riley for many years: Charles was living in Riley in 1888, 1890, 1894 and 1897, in Dewitt in 1911 and in St. Johns in 1915. In 1911 Charles married his second wife Emma Baker (b. 1865) of Watertown, Clinton County.

In 1886 he applied for and received a pension (no. 490365). Charles was also a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association.

Charles died, possibly a widower, on February 4, 1924, in Dewitt, Clinton County, and was buried in Wacousta cemetery in Clinton County.

Henry Paschal Cutler

Henry Paschal Cutler was born December 14, 1841, in Henrietta (?), Ohio, the son of David R. (b. 1814) and Vienna R. (Wright, b. 1819).

Massachusetts natives David and Vienna were probably married in Massachusetts before 1837 when their oldest daughter Anna was born. Sometime between 1837 and 1839 the family moved to Ohio where they resided for a number of years. Henry’s family left Ohio and by 1850 had settled in Watertown, Clinton County Michigan, where Henry was attending school.

Henry married 16-year-old New York native Hannah M. Corey (1843-1928) on April 29, 1859, and they had at least three children: Charles R. or S. (1859-1867), Moses (b. 1861) and Harvey (1867-1882), Agnes (b. 1872), a son (b. 1874) and Brice C. or G. (b. 1876).

By 1860 Henry was a farmer living with his wife in Riley, Clinton County, where both of them were also apparently attending school. Hannah was the sister of Charles Corey, also probably from Clinton County and born in New York, who would also join Company D, Third Michigan.

Henry stood 5’9” with gray eyes, light hair and a light complexion and was 19 years old and still residing in Clinton County when he enlisted in Company D on May 13, 1861. He was sick in the hospital in July and August of 1862, and reported as a deserter on September 21, 1862, at Upton’s Hill, Virginia, but had in fact been discharged for consumption on April 2, 1862, at Annapolis, Maryland.

After his discharge from the army Henry returned to Michigan, probably to his home in Clinton County. In any case, he reentered the service as a Private in Company E, Thirtieth Michigan infantry on December 6, 1864, at Lansing for one year, crediting Westphalia, Clinton County, and was mustered on January 4, 1865, at Detroit. The regiment was organized for 12 months’ service and was mustered into service on January 9. It was engaged in frontier duty along the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers until June. Henry was mustered out with the regiment at Detroit on June 30, 1865.

After the war Henry eventually returned to his home in Clinton County. By 1870 he was working as a farmer (he owned some $1200 worth of real estate) and living with his wife and two children in Riley next door to the Andrews Daniels family; they were the parents of Asa who had also served in the Old Third. He was living in Watertown in 1880, in Wacousta, Clinton County in 1883, in 1888, and in December of 1890 when he became a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association and either in Wacousta or Watertown in 1894.

Henry may have been living on R.R. no. 7 in Detroit around 1900, but had returned to Clinton County by 1911 when he was living in Dewitt. He possibly resided in Watertown for a time as well as South Riley. By 1920 he and Hanna were living in Oneida, Clinton County.

Henry was a member of Grand Army of the Republic Joseph Mason Post No. 248 in Wacousta, and received pension no. 30,249, drawing $4.00 per month in 1883.

Henry died on November 24, 1924, in either Watertown or Wacousta and was buried in Wacousta cemetery: old section, lot no. 185.

In 1925 his widow applied for and received a pension (no. 960800).