White

Thomas White

Thomas White was born in 1839 in Ireland, the son of Maurice (b. 1804).

Thomas immigrated to America with his family, possibly passing through Canada along the way, and eventually settled in western Michigan. By 1860 Thomas was working as a laborer and living with two older brothers and a younger sister in Croton, Newaygo County. (Nearby lived his father and two other brothers on one side, and on the other side lived the Carpenter brothers, Benjamin, John and Henry, all three of whom would enlist in Company K.)

Thomas was 22 years old and possibly in Muskegon, Muskegon County when he enlisted in Company H on May 6, 1861. (Company H, formerly the “Muskegon Rangers,” was made up largely of men from the vicinity of Muskegon and Newaygo counties.) He was promoted to Corporal on November 1, 1862, and reported missing in action on May 2, 1863, at Chancellorsville, Virginia. Thomas was returned to the Regiment on November 4, 1863, at Harrison’s Landing, Virginia, and was mustered out on June 20, 1864, at Detroit.

After his discharge from the army Thomas returned to Muskegon County, and was living in Muskegon when he married Rose or Rosey Connelly (b. 1845) on October 17, 1864, in Muskegon, and they had six children: Frank (b. 1865), John (b. 1869), William (b. 1871), James (b. 1873), Edward (b. 1875) and Mary (b. 1878).

By 1880 Thomas was working on the river and living with his wife and children on Muskegon Avenue in Muskegon’s First Ward. For a while he lived in Dalton, Muskegon County, working as a laborer, and was living in Muskegon in December of 1887 when he became a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association.

In 1880 Thomas applied for and received a pension (no. 422633).

He died in Muskegon or Newaygo County in 1889, or possibly in Alpena, Alpena County, on February 27, 1901, and may have been buried in Evergreen cemetery, Alpena: block 14, lot no. 35. (In 1890 there was one Thomas White listed as living in Alpena, next door to one Lewis White. Unfortunately no unit was identified.)

His widow applied for and received a pension (no., 649502).

Samuel White Jr.

Samuel White Jr. was born on October 1, 1829, in Ontario, Canada, the son of Samuel Sr. (1781-1873) and Lydia (Morgan, 1793-1875).

New York natives Samuel Sr. and Lydia were married in 1812 in Preble, NewYork, where they lived for some years. By 1818 they were in Palmyra, New York but by at least 1823 were living in Nissouri, Ontario, Canada. They remained in Canada for a numbere of years. Samuel Sr. moved his family from on to the Grand Rapids area in December of 1836, “with a team of six yoke oxen, and spent New Year’s Day at Gull Prairie, and in the spring of 1837 settled in Walker, where [his father] took up 160 acres on sec. 23 [what is now the Greenwood and Mt. Calvary cemeteries on west Leonard Street], and continued to buy land until he owned about 400 acres.” Samuel Sr. “cut the first road and drove the first team into the wilderness of Walker,” and was described as “a practical miller, and his sons acquired a knowledge of the business that proved useful in a new country.

Local Grand Rapids historian Charles Tuttle wrote in 1874 that upon arriving in the Walker area “Mr. White built the first frame barn west of the Grand River, and soon after erected a saw mill on Indian creek,” and as a young boy Samuel Jr. was reputed proficient in the language of the local native Americans. By 1850 Samuel Jr. was living with his family in Walker.

Samuel Jr. married his first wife, New York native Amy Eliza Root (b. 1835) on March 8, 1851, probably in Kent County, and according to one source they had at least three children: Isadora Monetta (b. 1853), Frederick Emmett (b. 1857) and May Amarilla (b. 1867). They divorced sometime before 1877.

By 1859-60 Samuel Jr. was living with his family on the Muskegon road (present-day west Leonard Street), near the corporation line, and in 1860 he was a farmer living with his family in Walker, Kent County, where his father owned a substantial farm and property. (Dayton Peck, who would also enlist in Company B, worked for Samuel Sr.) On July 10, 1860, Samuel joined the Grand Rapids Artillery, commanded by Captain Baker Borden. (The GRA would serve as the nucleus for Company B, also commanded by Borden, of the Third Michigan Infantry.)

Samuel Jr. stood 5’8” with blue eyes, dark hair and a dark complexion and was 31 years old and probably living in Grand Rapids when he enlisted as either First Corporal or Sergeant in Company B on May 13, 1861. By late June of 1862 was sick in a hospital in Bottom’s Bridge, Virginia, suffering from debility. He may have been reduced tot he ranks sometime in the summer of 1862 since he was reported as a Private and absent sick in the Regimental hospital from August of 1862 through December.

By January of 1863 he was sick at a hospital in Maryland, and he remained hospitalized, probably in Cumberland, Maryland until he was discharged on April 1, 1863, at Cumberland for a varicose ulcer of the left leg. According to the discharging physician, White also suffered from “scrofula and cutaneous eruption. He had been disabled for duty since June 1862. Protracted and severe marches are the supposed causes of the enlarged veins and consequent ulcer.”

Samuel returned to his home in Walker where he reentered the service as Commissary Sergeant of Company D, Tenth Michigan cavalry on September 16, 1863, for 3 years, crediting Walker, and was mustered on October 2 at Grand Rapids where the regiment was organized between September 18 and November 18, 1863, when it was mustered into service. It left Michigan for Lexington, Kentucky on December 1, 1863, and participated in numerous operations, mostly in Kentucky and Tennessee throughout the winter of 1863-64. Most of its primary area of operations would eventually be in the vicinity of Strawberry Plains, Tennessee. He was reported in the commissary department in February of 1864, and promoted to Second Lieutenant on January 31, 1865, at Knoxville, Tennessee, commissioned November 5, 1864, and soon afterwards returned home for a short visit.

He was on recruiting duty in Michigan from March of 1865 through May, and in June of 1865 he was Second Lieutenant of Company C, replacing Lieutenant Hinman. He resigned on August 26, 1865. According to one postwar report White “suffered the loss of an eye and part of the right shin bone from Confederate fire,” however the circumstances are unknown.

Samuel again returned to his home in Walker where for many years after the war he farmed on 80 acres of his own land as well as 35 acres of his father’s property, which he continued to improve. By 1870 he was working as a farmer (he owned $7000 worth of real estate) and living with his wife and children in Walker; also living with them was Samuel’s parents. Samuel Jr. married his second wife Mrs. Mary Jane Mercer Schill (b. 1838 in Canada, d. 1922) in 1877.

By 1880 he was working as a farmer and living with his wife and children in Walker. Samuel operated a steam cider-mill in Walker in the early 1880s, and was living in Grand Rapids by 1882; indeed, he lived the remainder of his life in the Grand Rapids area. In 1879 (?) he applied for and received a pension (no. 271192).

Samuel was a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association, and for many years served as commander of Grand Army of the Republic Champlin Post No. 29. The Eagle wrote on October 2, 1884, that “Samuel White, Commander of Champlin Post G.A.R., having attained his 55th year yesterday was agreeably surprised last evening by about 40 couples of his old comrades and friends attired in sheets and pillow cases. The commander was somewhat surprised and at first thought a graveyard had broken loose upon him, but after becoming acquainted with the situation joined the party and all enjoyed themselves until midnight when they left for home all wishing the commander many more anniversaries.” He remained with the Champlin Post until the membership dwindled to such a level that the few survivors were incorporated into the Custer Post No. 5.

In 1885 Samuel was living in Grand Rapids, in Walker in 1890, in Grand Rapids, Third Ward in 1894, in Comstock Park, Kent County in 1908, and at 315 Walker Street (subsequently changed to 1269 South Fifth Avenue) in Grand Rapids from 1909-11. “He was known,” wrote the Grand Rapids News in 1920, “as one of the best fishermen in the County and until he was 85 shot his allowance of deer each year.”

Samuel died of senility on Monday, July 12, 1920, at his home at 865 Franklin Street in Grand Rapids, and the funeral services were held at 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday at the residence. He was buried in Greenwood cemetery: section K lot 35.

In August of that same year his widow applied for and received a pension (no. 900481).

Norman G. White

Norman G. White was born in 1843, in New York, probably the son of Levi (b. 1808) and Julie (b. 1805).

New York natives Levi and Julie were married, sometimebefore 1829 presumably in New York where they resided for many years. By 1850 Norman (or Nathan ) was attending school with one of his older sisters, Frances and living with his family on a large farm in Attica, Wyoming County, New York. Levi eventually left New York and by the time he settled in Michigan had remarried to New York native Phebe A. (b. 1808). By 1860 Norman was working as a farm laborer and living with his family in Bowne, Kent County.

Norman was 18 years old and probably still living in Bowne when he enlisted in Company D on May 13, 1861. Norman was apparently a good friend of George Miller of Company A, and it is quite possible that Miller, who had also lived in Bowne before the war had known White prior to enlisting. In any case, Miller mentioned White on at least two occasions in letters home in the fall of 1861. On October 15, 1861, Miller wrote to his parents that he had “bought a nice little revolver a while ago for $8 and sold it again to Norman White for the same price,” and on October 24 he wrote home that he and White “went down to Mount Vernon the other day, . . .”

Both Norman and George were killed in action on May 31, 1862, at Fair Oaks, Virginia, and are presumably among the unknown soldiers buried at Seven Pines National Cemetery.

No pension seems to be available.

Norman’s parents were still living in Bowne in 1870 and in Caledonia, Kent County in 1880.

James H. and Myron Alonzo White

James H. White was born in 1840 in Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County, Michigan, the son of Benjamin (1813-1853) and Esther (Noyes, b. 1818).

James’ parents were both born in New York and presumably were married there. In any case they had settled in Michigan by 1839 and by 1841 when Myron was born they were probably living in Yankee Springs, Barry County. By 1850 James was attending school with his younger brother Myron and living with the family in Ada, Kent County, where their father worked as a wheel-wright and carriage-maker. By 1860 James was working as a farm laborer for the Dennis family in Ada. (By 1860 his father had apparently died and Esther was listed as head of household and working as a farmer in Ada.)

James stood 5’5” with gray eyes, light hair and a light complexion and was a 22-year-old farmer probably living in Ada when he enlisted in Company B on February 26, 1862, at Grand Rapids for 3 years, and was mustered the same day; James’ younger brother Myron also enlisted in Company B on February 26, and both may have been related to Samuel White.

James reportedly shot his thumb off on June 1, 1862 (so did Myron White), and deserted on July 1 at Harrison’s Landing, Virginia (as did Myron). James returned from desertion on August 15, although according to one report both James and Myron were among the sick and wounded soldiers who had arrived at Detroit Barracks around the first of August. However, another source reported that by early September he was in Carver hospital in Washington suffering from a slight sickness.

In any case, James reportedly deserted again on October 8 at Edward’s Ford (or Ferry), Maryland, but in fact he was discharged at Carver hospital in Washington, DC, on November 2, 1862, suffering from valvular disease of the heart with stiffness of second joint of the right thumb. (His brother Myron also allegedly deserted in late October at Edward’s Ferry but he too was discharged for a wounded thumb at Emory hospital in Washington.)

James returned to Michigan after the war.

He was married to Emma L., and they had at least one child: Percy (1879-1880).

By 1880 he was working as a stone and brick mason in Gaines, Kent County; also living with them was his niece, 6-year-old Lottie Burnett.

In 1879 he applied for and received a pension (no. 290870).

James probably died in 1905 and probably in Michigan.

In any case his widow was residing in Michigan in 1905 when she applied for and received a pension (no. 613703).

Myron Alonzo White was born on August 23, 1841, in Yankee Springs, Barry County, Michigan, the son of Benjamin (1813-1853) and Esther (Noyes, b. 1818).

Myron’s parents were both born in New York and presumably were married there. In any case they had settled in Michigan by 1839 and by 1841 when Myron was born they were probably living in Yankee Springs, Barry County. By 1850 Myron was attending school with his older brother James and living with the family in Ada, Kent County, where their father worked as a wheel-wright and carriage-maker. By 1860 his father had apparently died and Esther was listed as head of household and working as a farmer in Ada. By 1860 Myron was living in Grand Rapids.

Myron stood 5’7” with blue eyes, light hair and a light complexion and was a 20-year-old farmer possibly living in Ada or Grand Rapids when he enlisted in Company B on February 22, 1862, at Grand Rapids, and was mustered on February 24; Myron’s older brother James also enlisted in Company B on February 26, and both may have been related to Samuel White.

Myron was wounded in the right thumb on May 31, 1862 at Fair Oaks, Virginia (James White shot his thumb off on June 1), and allegedly deserted on July 1 at Harrison’s Landing, Virginia (so did James).

Myron was returned to the Regiment in August and was absent sick in the hospital through September. according to one source, by the first week of August both Myron and James were among the sick and wounded soldiers who had recently arrived at Detroit Barracks. He allegedly deserted again on October 23 at Edward’s Ford (or Ferry), Maryland, but in fact was discharged on October 16, 1862, at Emory hospital, Washington, DC, for “the loss of the thumb of the right hand in battle, and general debility resulting from typhoid fever.”

He eventually returned to Michigan, probably to Ada, Kent County which he listed as his mailing address on his discharge paper.

He was married to Ohio native Sarah L. (1853-1914), and they had at least four children: Mary (b. 1873), Louis (b. 1875), Martin (b. 1878), Cora (b. 1879) and a son (d. 1899).

By 1880 he was working in a mill and living with his wife and children in Pierson, Montcalm County. In 1883 he was living in Pierson, Montcalm County where he worked for some time as a laborer. He was still living in Pierson in 1888 and 1890, 1894 and 1911 (?). Indeed he probably lived in Pierson the rest of his life. His father-in-law died in Pierson in 1903 and was buried in Pierson cemetery

Myron received pension no. 161,095, dated June of 1879, drawing $2.00 for loss of right thumb.

Myron died on December 13, 1907, presumably in Pierson, and was buried in Pierson Township cemetery (his wife was also buried in Pierson cemetery in 1914).

In January of 1908 his widow was still living in Michigan when she applied for and received a pension (no. 664240).

Coda White

Coda White was born in 1836 or 1837 in Upper Canada, probably Ontario and probably the son of John (1799-1846) and Jane (Van Brockelin, b. 1797).

New York natives John and Jane were married in 1817 in New York where they lived for some years. By 1824 they had settled in Canada where they would live the rest of their lives. In 1846 John died in Charlottesville, Norfolk County, Ontario, and was buried in Fairview cemetery in Charlottesville. Coda (or “Cada”) left Canada and settled in western Michigan sometime before the war broke out.

He stood 5’5” with gray eyes, dark hair and a fair complexion and was a 24-year-old carpenter possibly living in Newaygo County when he enlisted in Company H on May 13, 1861. (Company H, formerly the “Muskegon Rangers,” was made up largely of men from the vicinity of Muskegon and Newaygo counties.)

He was probably wounded in the back at Fair Oaks, Virginia, on May 31, 1862, and according to one eyewitness report, as of July 26 he was in the Wood Street hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, “wounded in the back” but “getting well.” He remained absent sick in the hospital from July of 1862 through December, but eventually recovered from his wound and returned to duty. He was awarded the Kearny Cross for his participation in the battle of Chancellorsville, Virginia, on May 3, 1863, and reenlisted as a Corporal on December 24, 1863, at Brandy Station, Virginia, crediting Muskegon, Muskegon County.

Coda was presumably absent on veteran’s furlough in January of 1864, probably returned to the Regiment on or about the first of February and was severely wounded in the arm in early May during the Wilderness-Spotsylvania movements. He was reported absent sick in the hospital in May and was still absent sick or wounded when he was transferred as a Corporal to Company A, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864, and remained absent wounded through July of 1864. He was promoted to First Sergeant on February 22, 1865, and was mustered out on July 5, 1865, at Jeffersonville, Indiana.

No pension seems to be available.

Charles White

Charles White was born in 1842 in Baden, Germany.

Charles came to America and settled in Michigan sometime before 1863.

He stood 5’7” with hazel eyes, light hair and a fair complexion and was a 21-year-old book-keeper possibly living in Warren, Macomb County when he became a substitute for one George Gill who had been drafted on February 18, 1863, for 9 months from Warren. He was placed in Unassigned, and sent to the Regiment on March 6, 1863, but there is no record of his having ever joined the Regiment.

No pension seems to be available.

He may in fact have enlisted in Battery K, First Michigan Light Artillery on February 5, 1863, at Oakland County for 3 years (age 18), and mustered February 20. If so, he was transferred to the Seventh cavalry on February 20. Again, but again there is no further record, nor is there a record of his enlistment or transferal in the Seventh Michigan cavalry records. He may have then been a substitute for John Dropp who was drafted, and enlisted in Unassigned, Twelfth Michigan infantry on October 12, 1864, at Detroit for 3 years, age 21, mustered the same day. If so, he was then transferred to Company G at Detroit on October 14 for 1 year, and mustered the same day. Again, there is no further record. He may have enlisted in Company I, Fourth Reorganized Michigan infantry on August 25, 1864 at Pontiac, Oakland County for 3 years (age 21), mustered on September 8, and deserted at Pontiac on September 12, 1864. There is no further record.