mills

George W. Mills

George W. Mills was born in 1845 in Ionia, Ionia County, Michigan, the son of Major D. (1806-1886) and Julia (d. 1849).

His parents moved to Michigan, probably from Massachusetts, sometime before 1832, and by 1850 his fahter had remarried to a woman named Lucina and George was living with his family in North Plains, Ionia County, where his father was a farmer. In 1860 George was attending school and living with his family in North Plains.

George stood 5’11” with blue eyes, light hair and a light complexion and was 16 years old and probably still living with his family in North Plains when he enlisted (presumably with his parents’ consent) in Company E on May 13, 1861. He was left sick in Grand Rapids on June 13, 1861, when the Regiment left for Washington, DC, and, although he was reported to have died soon afterwards, in fact, he soon rejoined the Regiment. (According to David Crawford, former officer of Company E, George was sick with measles in 1861 but even after he rejoined the regiment was never very well.)

He was absent sick from August of 1862 through November, rejoined the Regiment in December and was present for duty through April of 1862. George was reported sick in a hospital near Yorktown, Virginia, as of June 30, 1862, and listed as absent sick from August 14 quite probably through October. He returned to duty, possibly in December, and remained with the regiment through April. He was wounded severely in the left arm on May 3, 1863. at Chancellorsville, Virginia, after which he was hospitalized through August. On June 9 George left for home on sick furlough.

George returned to the regiment by the end of October, and reenlisted on December 23, 1863, crediting Wyoming, Kent County. He was presumably absent on veteran’s furlough, probably at his family home in Ionia County, in January of 1864 and probably returned to the Regiment on or about the first of February. He was shot in the left arm on May 6, 1864, at the Wilderness, Virginia, or perhaps on August 18, 1864, at Deep Bottom, Virginia, after which he was hospitalized, probably in Washington, DC, eventually suffering the loss of his arm. He was still absent wounded in the hospital when he was transferred to Company E, Fifth Michigan infantry in June, and he remained absent wounded until he was discharged on December 4, 1864, at Emory hospital, Washington, DC for “loss of left arm caused by a gunshot wound.

George listed North Plains as his mailing address on his discharge paper and indeed he was residing in North Plains in January of 1865 when he applied for a pension. By 1870 he was listed as a “pensioner” and living with his family in North Plains. He was listed as single, working as a farmer and still living with his parents in North Plains in 1880. He worked as a farmer for many years.

By December of 1883 he was living in Muir, Ionia County when he became a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association. he was also a member of GAR Dresser Post No. 100 in Lyons, Ionia County. By 1883 George was drawing $18.00 per month for loss of his left arm (pension no. 43,517, dated September of 1866). On December 25, 1884 he married one Lucy Nickusen, in Clinton County.

In October of 1885 Dr. David Kelley examined George and found him to be suffering from the effects of his wounds. Dr. Kelley noted that “the ball enter[ed] between the second and third ribs [moving] from below up on the left side of the front chest passing down[wards] and lodging at or near the lower [end] of the stomach and from irritating effects on that organ a tumor which closed the passage almost or entirely of the contents of the stomach to the intestines which together with chronic diarrhea producing general debility and emaciation to a very great [extent] and death from the effects of the above-named causes which took place on or about Jan. 11, 1866.”

George was probably still living in Ionia County when he died on January 16, 1886. He was buried in Ionia County, North Plains cemetery: section 7 grave no. 135.

Lucy applied for a pension (no. 336417). In 1887 she reportedly remarried to one William Leclear in Clinton County.

Charles C. Mills

Charles C. Mills was born in 1837 in New York.

Charles left New York and headed westward, eventually settling in western Michigan. He was married to Michigan native Laura or Lucy Bennett (b. 1841), on January 2, 1858, in Michigan, and they had at least two children: Frederick (b. 1859) and Charles H. (b. 1862). (Laura was the sister of George W. and Jonas Bennett who would also enlist in the Third Michigan.) By 1860 Charles was working as a clerk and he and his family were living with his in-laws, Cyrus Bennett and his family, in Brooks, Newaygo County; and he may also have worked as a day laborer at the Chubb Hotel in Muskegon, Muskegon County in 1860 -- as did Jonas Bennett.

Charles was 24 years old and living in Newaygo or Muskegon County when he enlisted in Company E on May 13, 1861. He was probably wounded in the shoulder at Fair Oaks, Virginia on May 31, 1862, and by June of 1862 was in the hospital at Bottom’s Bridge, Virginia, suffering from rheumatism. He was listed as a pioneer absent sick in the hospital in July of 1862 through August, from September of 1862 to March of 1863 he was serving with the Third Brigade wagon and ambulance trains, and in May he was attached to the Third Brigade Quartermaster, probably employed in the trains.

By July Charles was in Mower hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and he remained absent sick from July of 1863 through February of 1864. He was transferred to either the Fifty-third company, Second Battalion Veterans’ Reserve Corps or the One hundred sixty-fourth company, Second battalion, VRC, on March 31, 1864, at Philadelphia, possibly suffering from chronic hemorrhoids, and was mustered out on June 9, 1864, at Philadelphia.

After his discharge from the army Charles eventually returned to western Michigan. By 1880 he was working as the city marshal and living with his wife and children in Evart, Osceola County. By 1888 and 1894 he was living in Evart, Osceola County, and may very well have lived out the remainder of his life in Evart.

In 1879 he applied for and received a pension (no. 415553).

Charles died in Evart of pneumonia on March 17, 1902 and was buried in Forest Hill cemetery in Osceola Township.